As Our First Female Vice President, Kamala Harris Is Making History

Our first female Vice President, our first Vice President of Indian descent, and the first Black and South Asian Woman to claim the title.

198

As a young woman living in the United States, seeing a woman in the White House has always been a dream of mine. I look to the leaders of our country, and I do not see many who look like me. I don't see many who represent young women around the world. On January 20th, we made history by inaugurating our first female Vice President.

While I am saddened that it is 2021 and we are just now seeing our first woman as Vice President and we have yet to see a woman in the White House, watching Kamala Harris make history as our first female VP I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride for all women around the country. The United States has never seen a VP who is not a white man and to see a change in history is a good feeling for all who wish to see more women in power. People will always resist this change but Harris's office proves that a woman is more than capable to perform the duties of Vice President of the United States.

Kamala Harris gives people around the world a new role model and inspiration. For all of us, this was a needed step in the world of gender equality, something that often seems far away in the political realm. When we see more women in power, it encourages other women to run for office and fight the inequalities of our representation in every level of government.

Having a woman in a position of power will undoubtedly change the attitudes of people surrounding women in politics. We still see misogynistic ideas towards women who try to run for office.

Aside from being an inspiration to all of us, this is also an important moment in history for our Vice President aside from the societal impact. Harris is entering the office of Vice President in the middle of a worldwide pandemic and does not have a great slate laid out for her. As for Congress, Harris will preside over the Senate having 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans, allowing her the great power of being the tiebreaker. With her experience in the Senate, I do not doubt that she is the woman for the job. If Congress attempts to overturn policies from the Trump White House, we will need the vote of the VP to do so.

I, as well as so many others, am elated to see Kamala Harris and Joe Biden in the White House and cannot wait to see the significant changes they bring forth!