Kacey Musgraves Is My It-Girl Every Year

Kacey's "Golden Hour" didn't end in 2019...this superstar is just getting started.

49

KACEY MUSGRAVES. She's the embodiment of girl power, fashion, positivity, and straight-up being a boss-lady. After winning Album of the Year at the 2019 Grammy's and tackling a world tour to end all world tours, Kacey has definitely amassed A-list celebrity status. Soon enough she was seen on every red carpet, hanging out with the Kar-Jenners and Hadid's and topping the charts with song after song after song. But still, Kacey Musgraves is just another girl from Texas who chased a dream all the way to Nashville and set her sights on world domination.

I've had the chance to see Kacey twice now. First, as an opening act for Harry Styles (swoooon!) and next in Nashville on the closing night of her Oh, What a World Tour this past October. When I saw her the first time I was unfamiliar with her or her music, but immediately found myself hooked by her amazing voice, trendy jumpsuits, and the saddle-shaped disco ball hanging from the ceiling of the stage. She was genuine and fun and captivated everyone in the building that night, and once I was home I immediately began listening to her entire discography. I couldn't believe I had been missing out on her this whole time! Since then I've become a true Kacey stan for so many reasons, but here are my top 5:

She's a beacon of girl power

Kacey is a true feminist. She embodies female empowerment and encourages her fans to do the same. Kacey has been a force in the male-dominated country field from the moment she stepped on the scene and serves as a major leader for all women with aspirations of a country music career. This Texas native stood up for her fellow country queens when country radio revealed that many channels are not permitted to play female artists back to back. Kacey quickly tweeted about the sexist policies saying "smells like white male bull**** and why LONG ago I decided they cannot stop me." You go, girl!

Her unwavering positivity 

Kacey's music covers all the bases - love, family, friendship, heartbreak, self-confidence - you name it and there's a song to help you through. But the most magical part of her music is the underlying tone of positivity in nearly every song. Her concerts leave you feeling warm and brand-new as you exit the building as she pushes the themes of self-love, inclusivity, and true southern comfort and hospitality. The true power Kacey harnesses comes in her ability to sing songs like Rainbow or Oh, What A World to a sold-out stadium and still make you feel like the song was written specifically for you and what you're going through. When I had the chance to see Kacey in Nashville she was under the weather and still managed to put on the most fabulous show for us. She encouraged us to emit the positive vibes she needed to make it through the show and boy did she stun, even while being sick. Her positivity and inclusivity make her a star you are proud to support and a show you want to attend over and over again.

Her kindness spreads far and wide

In August of 2018, Kacey went viral once more, this time for her kind actions toward an old-school local business in downtown LA. Kacey had visited "Tom's One Hour Photo" and decided to have an impromptu photo shoot with the owner Tom himself. She took to Instagram shortly after to share the spunky and nostalgic pictures and encourage her fans to visit Tom and support his small business because in such a progressive and technology-driven time there's a shortage of business for those like Tom. The attention he received in the coming days was staggering and Kacey could not have been more proud to have helped out this talented man. It's small acts of kindness like this that embody Kacey's message of kindness, positivity, inclusivity, and happiness.

She's as genuine as can be

She's been the face of many memes in the last few years. From her all-too-relatable shock when winning album of the year at the Grammys to her viral "I didn't f*ckin say YEE" video from Coachella, she's inspired a laugh in her time. She loves to call out her trolls on Twitter and remind them that she just truly isn't phased by a hater or two. In December 2019 Kacey aired her "The Kacey Musgraves Christmas Show" on Amazon Prime where she mixed her love for the holidays with her fabulous talent and even tried her hand at a few comedy sketches. The Christmas special felt more genuine than anything I had seen from a celebrity in recent years. It felt like something an old-Hollywood star would produce - a genuine and wholesome tribute to the holidays.

Her fashion sense is TO DIE FOR

Vibrant colors. Feathers. Glitter and rhinestones galore. Kacey serves a major fashion moment everywhere she goes. Whether it's her psychedelic jumpsuits on tour or her Barbie dream moment at the 2019 Met Gala, Kacey's looks are bound to stun any crowd. Her southern flare mixed with major glam sets her apart from other celebrities and inspires a whole new fashion movement. Kacey has even been compared to pop icon Cher many times for her timeless glamour and stunning beauty, and I couldn't agree more. The Country Music Hall of Fame is currently paying tribute to Kacey and her trailblazing career in an exhibit that showcases many aspects of her fame, but most of all, so many of her incredible outfits and costumes from years past. Kacey may be a music trailblazer, but her taste in fashion does not fall far behind.

So whether it's Kacey's amazing style, beautiful music, or spunky vibe you're drawn to, it's clear she is the superstar this generation has been waiting for. Kacey was on top of her game in 2019 and 2020 is lining up to be just as magical.