4 Ways To Help Fight For Justice In Palestine, It's Time To Take Action
Politics

The Palestinians are suffering day in and day out. But that does not mean there's nothing we can do.

76
Instagram: @hamoodi70

On May 14, 2018, the United States broke from decades of international law and moved its Israeli embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Just as Ivanka Trump unveiled this new consulate, several hundred miles away in Gaza at least 50 peaceful, unarmed Palestinian protesters were mercilessly gunned down by Israeli forces protesting the move that could potentially jeopardize the existence of Palestinian culture in the region.

Last month, I wrote about the conflict between Israel and Palestine, and why everyone should be knowledgeable about it. But I left out ways that we can specifically help the cause to hold Israel accountable for its horrendous human rights atrocities. Here’s how:

1. Participate in a peaceful protest

Perhaps one of the greatest ways to get involved and help build solidarity for Palestine is to partake in a peaceful demonstration. Especially in the wake of the new embassy in Jerusalem, here in Chicago, there have been many calls to action to take to the streets and fight for a free Palestine.

In fact, here at DePaul, the Students for Justice in Palestine have organized Israeli Apartheid Week. Such activities included planting Palestinian flags across the quad, building a makeshift West Bank barrier, and create art and eat Palestinian food.

2. Spread the word on social media

While I find social media alone as a tool for activism very problematic, talking about the conflict in a thoughtful manner can be an easy stepping stone in helping people get onboard with the Palestinian cause. Social media has proven to be a powerful tool in helping to build social movements, but this doesn't mean that tweets and posts alone will hold Israel accountable. Now that you sparked a conversation, take action and get on the streets!

3. Relate the conflict to issues at home

Politically involved Americans today are no strangers to the fight for social justice and equality. While it’s great to see so much enthusiasm, that should apply to the Palestinian people as well. Whether it be state-sanctioned violence, apartheid-style governance, or the cutting of water to Gaza, a lot of the ways that Palestinians suffer under Israeli authority sound eerily similar to marginalized groups back here in the States.

4. Boycott, divestment, sanctions (BDS)

The BDS movement is perhaps the most effective way to help the Palestinians achieve their liberty. BDS has three principles: Boycott any business that helps Israel oppress Palestinians, Divest from any entity that does business with Israeli companies that violate Palestinian rights, and impose Sanctions on any country that refuses to hold Israel accountable. BDS has a full list of what specific things to boycott here.

If you're disgusted by the unnecessary bloodshed by Israel as much as I am, then there are most certainly ways to get involved in helping the Palestinians. Get involved, amplify the struggles we see firsthand, and together we can build a worldwide movement of solidarity for the Palestinian people.