Take A Moment For Yourself Once And Just Breathe

Ever since being back at school, I have made a point to work out every week day before or after class, just to unwind and take my mind off of things.

137
Allison Murphy

It takes just one moment to make you feel so overwhelmed that it seems like you're drowning. Yes, maybe things lead up to this feeling, but eventually it just seems to be too much. The thing that can set it off can range all the way from that school assignment due tomorrow that you haven't started, all the way to your boyfriend breaking up with you. I know this feeling all too well. At times it can seem like it will never end, and other times it can seem like it was just a five minute thought and now you're all good. Sometimes I just wish I could stop this feeling before it even starts. I wish I could prevent this mental breakdown from occurring. I now realize I can't, but I can do things to make it better for myself.

I have always been someone that gets easily overwhelmed and sometimes lets it control me. I know plenty of teenagers have this issue because for us small things can trigger big reactions like this. I have begun to realize that there are three very small things I do that make a big difference when I begin to feel overwhelmed.

One of the things I do is workout. It has made a tremendous difference in my mood for the day because I now don't feel like a slug all day. I also have begun to feel more comfortable in my body again. It also just helps my mental state. It clears my mind for the day and it is also something I can do well studying or just watching TV. Ever since being back at school, I have made a point to work out every week day before or after class, just to unwind and take my mind off of things. I can already see an improvement in my mood and I have only been doing this for about 2 weeks. I believe everyone should go out and do this; I promise it makes a difference.

Another thing I do is breathing exercises when I feel as though I am getting anxious or overwhelmed quickly. I take a deep breath and hold it, then I breathe out. I typically do this until I feel relatively more relaxed. I also do Sa-Ta-Na-Ma breathing exercises with my fingers. This means I breathe in on Sa, out on Ta, and then go back to breathing in on Na and out on MA. I know to many you may think I'm crazy, especially if you were to see me doing this in public, but it has actually been one of the most helpful things for me. I honestly recommend you doing some type of breathing exercise or just overall taking a breath when you begin to get overwhelmed. Just take a moment for yourself; you deserve it. You don't need to go a million miles per minute every day. Focus on yourself for once.

The final thing I do and love is having a good vibes area for yourself to go. A place for you to get away that you love. In my dorm room, I decorated a whole corner of my dorm super bohemian, like my own personal style. It has a lot of plants and signs and, of course, my essential oils. I live by my essential oils that I use with my diffuser. When I am studying, I make sure my diffuser is on just to keep myself relaxed and calm well doing all my daily tasks. I recommend everyone purchasing a diffuser and one or two types of oils. I love lavender and lemon because they both always make me feel a little more relaxed and at home in my dorm room.

So yes these all might be small things, but these small things have made a huge difference in my mental state. I hope everyone can find their own way of handling things and begin to take a moment for themselves. Trust me, you deserve it more than anyone.