To Jump Or Not To Jump...

To Jump Or Not To Jump...

When the artist tells you to do something, do it!

11
To Jump Or Not To Jump...
PPCORN

Musicians of all genres have a shared common power: commanding the crowd in more ways than one. They ask us to sing along, to go crazy, to squat down, to jump up, put a lighter to the sky, "LET ME HEAR YOU SCREAAAM *insert rando city* !!!!!!," or something involving your hands, from clapping to raising the roof, or perhaps my favorite, wave them in the air like you just don't care. We are coerced by their words, often finessed directly by lyrics, and even physical imitation. The music alone can be so compelling we dance and move in unison.

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those who do, those who do not, and those who whole-heartedly half-ass. I went through a full spectrum wringer of shows this weekend and could not help but notice how straight up disobedient and non-compliant my peers were. Speculating a variety of reasons from a wide ranging variety of audiences I came to the conclusion people have lost the fanatic aspect of being true fans of music.

Starting at Jack FM's "11th Show" at Irvine Meadows Ampitheatre this weekend was a bit off the beaten path out in OC, but I was STOKED for the event. It was their last show at the venue as it is due to be closed permanently after "allowing hundreds of thousands of people in its 34 year run to see legendary performances by artists such as Michael Jackson, Grateful Dead, Kiss, Fall Out Boy, Rascal Flatts, Santana, Pacific Symphony Orchestra, Drake and hundreds of others also including annual festivals such as the KROQ Weenie Roast and Oddball Comedy festival" (you can read more about the venue and sign the Petition to save Irvine Meadows here). My first, and unfortunately, probably last experience there was to see Everlast & House of Pain, Garbage, The Cult, and Jane's Addiction headlining. How many chances am I realistically going to have to jump around to "Jump Around??????" Not. Many.

Shortly after arriving, and pretty much as soon as I got to my seat, the beat dropped and I am flying through the air like the cement was suddenly a trampoline. I was one of few legitimately jumping. Granted it was an older crowd I'll give them a pass, but it seemed more like everybody had to pee than the absolute jam came on. BUT C'MON ITS THE JAM; SOoOOoO, JUMP AROUND... JUMP AROUND.. jump up, jump up, and please for god's sake, get down. I would say 30% of the crowd committed to a handful of jumps. I got the full four minutes worth. My calves are still sore, BUT most people just kind of wiggled around awkwardly with darting glances like mayyyyybe if they avoid eye contact no one would notice or call each other out that they weren't jumping. LIKE DID U NOT HEAR HIM? 'T'was sad. Glossing right through my adolescent, even prepubescent, angst that made quite a cameo at the Garbage performance right on over to where we had to actually leave before Jane's came on to make it to Die Antwoord on time.

Fast forward to the next show; totally different crowd, but same reaction! Yolandi and Ninja are hooting, hollering, going bonkers. Everyone is so busy taking snapchats they're barely moving anything but thumbs. A totally packed house, plenty of youth, a handful of die-hard followers singing and dancing along like their lives depended on it, and then the whole-hearted half-asses barely bopping around. Are you familiar with Die Antwoord? It is fast-paced, creative, inspiring, electronic and hip hop infused magic that makes me want to booty pop just thinking about it. Not the sort of music you just nod your head. "I Fink U Freeky" comes on and my mind is missing, pure uninhibited primitive musical intuition courses through my body. The rug has never been cut quite as violently. Full blown bananas. You bet your bottom dollar when they commanded that all the M.F.s jump, I did. 50 or so people were along each rail the mezzanine trying to look as very important as the price they paid to stand there. And that is what they did. Stood there. Downstairs had a hype center but overall wasn't much different. I froze very time Ninja leaped off the stage worried that he would be swallowed whole by vapid mouth-breathers. Though doubtful, I placed my faith in humanity and whirl-winded around like a twerk tornado all the while formulating this topic in my head.

Am I missing something? Are we at the same shows? Hearing the same music right? There is a tangible disconnect. How do we stop it? I fear we are so trapped in social scrutiny the dance floor is rarely properly utilized. That, or we are so despondent and unimpressed with things it's hard to step outside of that frame. What more could you possibly want? These artists are pouring their heart and soul into us into their craft and we bastardize the moment by enjoying it stoically through our phones or insecurity. Music is a safe place. The audience is a safe place. Seriously, wave your hands in the air like you just do not care! Art, music, and self expression shall not be in vain.