J.R.R. Tolkien And The Nature Of Hope

J.R.R. Tolkien And The Nature Of Hope

Hope doesn't mean everything will be okay right now; it means that one day, good will win permanently.

224
J.R.R. Tolkien And The Nature Of Hope

Lauded as perhaps the greatest fantasy writer of all time, J.R.R. Tolkien created a rich, beautiful world and wrote enchanting stories that continue to entice readers. Even though many critics and readers, both in Tolkien's time and today, have tried to draw parallels between Tolkien's work and real-world events (such as World War II), Tolkien himself was always adamant that his stories were not allegories. He simply wanted to tell a good story – and he certainly succeeded, especially with “The Lord of the Rings" series.

But if Tolkien's fantasy work is not allegorical, does that mean we can't draw any lessons or real-life applications from his stories? No, indeed. Tolkien himself once said the following:

“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations…. I much prefer history – true or feigned – with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author" (emphasis added).

It appears, then, that while Tolkien certainly disliked strict allegory, he didn't discredit the applicability of fiction to readers. He wanted to give readers the freedom to simply enjoy reading a good story while uncovering nuggets of truth along the way, without being compelled to find a strict, one-on-one correlation to another story or event.

With this in mind, Tolkien's fantasy work contains numerous powerful themes, all of which modern readers can draw lessons from for their own lives. One theme that has always stood out to me is Tolkien's view of what it means to have hope, and what this means for how we should live.

Tolkien drew extensively on Norse mythology, with its tales of swords and battles, kings and knights, and chivalry and sacrifice. He particularly loved the glorious heroes of Northern mythology, and he sought to pattern many of his own characters and events after them. One prominent theme in Northern mythology was the Northern theory of courage: fighting the darkness wholeheartedly without hope of victory and with the knowledge that evil will eventually triumph.

Of course, this seems like quite a dismal view of the world, but Tolkien was enamored by heroes who have no hope – either for themselves or for the victory of good – but who nevertheless give their all to the cause of battling evil. During one battle in “The Lord of the Rings," Tolkien's character Éomer cries, “Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending," indicating his perseverance and dedication in the face of hopelessness as his army rides to battle Sauron's evil army.

While Tolkien appreciated certain elements of this Northern view of courage, he could not accept the idea that evil will ultimately triumph over good. He admired the courage of these Norse heroes, but he couldn't accept the overwhelming hopelessness of their view that the light can never overcome darkness. Unlike the Northern theory of courage, Tolkien offers glimpses of hope for the future. His characters recognize that they may lose numerous battles against evil, but they never give up hope for a brighter future. Thus, Tolkien signals that we should courageously battle the evil in this world with the knowledge that one day it will be destroyed.

In light of this hope for victory, Tolkien praises the everyday struggle of ordinary individuals as we battle the numerous ills and evils in our society and world. Basically, he presents characters who fight the good fight by demonstrating strength of character and combatting evil on a day-to-day basis.

Tolkien praises the humility of heroes like Frodo, who recognizes his shortcomings but displays unwavering dedication to the greater good of the world by taking it upon himself to destroy the One Ring. In addition, Tolkien extols forgiveness, by creating a world in which mercy tempers justice (for instance, when Frodo and Bilbo both decide to spare the pitiful creature of Gollum, even though justice would dictate that he should be killed). Significantly, Tolkien recognizes that granting mercy is not a denial of wrongdoing nor a license to wrong behavior; rather, it frees those who receive it to change their ways. Finally, Tolkien praises the role of friendship and sacrificial loyalty in fighting the darkness. He lauds the courage of Sam Gamgee, who often rescues Frodo from peril and provides him with unwavering support and encouragement in the midst of hardship. Sam's behavior reveals the power of unconditional love in transforming even the most fearful person into one of fortitude since he forgets his own safety out of concern for those he loves.

In essence, J.R.R. Tolkien's “The Lord of the Rings" contains important truths for modern readers. We must give our all to fighting evil, even if we don't see victory in our lifetimes, because we have hope that good will eventually win. This battle must be fought through strength of character and behavior, as many of Tolkien's characters demonstrate. By living out virtues like humility, mercy, and unconditional love, we can both contribute to the defeat of evil and mitigate its effects in the meantime. We must defy evil in the here and now while living in a manner that reflects hope for the eventual victory of good.