Journalism Is Needed Now More Than Ever

Journalism Is Needed Now More Than Ever

Journalism is necessary.

8
Journalism Is Needed Now More Than Ever

Journalism is necessary for a democracy to thrive. Why does democracy need journalism and the First Amendment? Journalism is the link between the people and their government. The First Amendment focuses on the freedoms granted to citizens in the new nation, including speech, religion, press, right to assemble and to petition. Therefore, journalism is necessary for upholding these freedoms, making the people's voices heard and stoking the flames of democracy.

As the people's "voice," journalism acts as an outlet for those who are oppressed and have something to say for society. In the world, there are trials and tribulations, and one of those is war. Journalism is important to democracy because the tragedies and injustices of war must be reported and recorded, and the people must be informed in order to not repeat past mistakes. Journalists, despite their own personal beliefs, must put bias aside to be the best connection between the people and the government, and in doing so they are independent.

With journalism, there is great power to do good, but also to do great damage. While it is capable of uniting people and contributing to the people's knowledge of important events, it also has the potential to spread falsehoods and stir up controversies. Journalism is the profitable art of engaging citizens and others in truth through storytelling; therefore, it should engage the community it touches and makes it a better place. In the end, however, journalism is an art, not a science, yet it needs to be profitable to fully thrive.

On the road to becoming a great journalist, one must continually look for inspiration, and seek out new opportunities to learn and grow. Journalism is an art, requiring inspiration, found by reading what you would like to write. By contacting your favorite authors and applying for internships as early as possible, you can find people who may lead you to your dream job. And, as exclaimed by the professor, a minute in a broadcast is longer than you think, and in that amount of time, there lies an opportunity to impress the audience… or not.

To become a great journalist, one must study the products of great journalism, and be truthful in storytelling. An example of great journalism at work is the TV program "60 Minutes", which has won many awards for its excellence in unbiased analysis and interviews.

A democracy needs journalism, protected by the `First Amendment, for three reasons: reporting the truth, which is essential for the validity of important information, to be the watchdog for the people on the government's actions, and for informing citizens with valuable voting and election backgrounds, in order to promote the backbone of democracy, participation in the government itself. A democracy, defined, is known as "a government by the people", and is furthermore "for the people". Therefore, such a government, which exists as an extension of the people's will, must protect the people's freedoms.

Therefore, such a government, which exists as an extension of the people's will, must protect the people's freedoms. In the First Amendment, the freedoms of speech and the press are lauded as being of supreme importance, and as such, Journalism is the written and broadcasted presentation of news and information. Therefore, both journalism and the First Amendment are essential to the very heart of a true democracy.