My New Years Resolution Has Already Changed My Year And That's Okay

How the addition of just one step a day changed my entire perspective.

5

I am rarely one to buy into the trend of new year's resolutions. I believe that a new year should not be the sole reason to amass a major change in your life, that you should want to make that change at any point in your year just because it will better you. And while there's really no bad time to make a major lifestyle change, and I applaud anyone who identifies a way to better themselves and goes after it, it just isn't for me. The new year just isn't significant enough of a reason to suddenly change everything in my life.

However, this year I did decide to adopt a few new routines once January rolled around. Just simple things like always making my bed, attempting to be a bit less negative, and my personal favorite - journaling. I told myself I would begin journaling with the new year as an outlet to get my thoughts, both good and bad, out onto paper and avoid them living rent-free in my mind. What I thought would just be a simple daily task to express myself, however, has turned into a daily routine I cannot believe I lived without. Journaling has granted me peace of mind and after just two months, I have already witnessed a major difference in myself and my de-cluttered brain.

I think over these two months it has been important for me to realize that journaling does not have to be intentional. It can be as simple as jotting down today's thoughts and sights, or the music I'm currently listening to. Sometimes the days where my entry is far from "profound" are when I realize the most. Sometimes journaling can be like putting a puzzle together - you piece together your entries day-to-day and create a bigger picture of your life and experiences. I love the freedom journaling grants me. As I mentioned before, I am definitely an overthinker, and I definitely have too many thoughts living in my head and crowding my brain. When I put my thoughts down on paper, I am able to dismiss the negatives and focus on harboring positive and beneficial thoughts, instead of clouding my days with second-guessing or the dreaded what-ifs.

Additionally, journaling has allowed me to look back on the last month or two and see how far I have come, or refer to different moments as lessons to learn from. I'm able to reflect on memories and moments as they happened and call on specific details that I may have forgotten otherwise. To me, this is so important as a senior in college with graduation quickly approaching. These are the moments I want to hold onto and remember forever, and journaling grants me the ability to call upon moments and feelings during this last semester before my life begins to transition once again.

Most importantly, journaling is one thing in this life that is completely and wholly mine. Growing up in a technology-oriented generation where oversharing our picture-perfect lives is the standard, it feels nice to express my thoughts, good or bad, and know that there is nobody here to impress. These are my thoughts, my true thoughts for only me to know and appreciate. This opportunity for deep self-reflection has been vital as I learn more and more about myself each day. I feel like journaling has given me a chance to become re-acquainted with myself and learn more about the real Katherine than ever before.