10 Reasons YOU Should Join (Wisconsin) Odyssey Right Now!

Odyssey is a great fit for you - let me explain why.

24

College can be scary, full of opportunity, and overwhelming - here's a good place to start. Welcome to a couple reasons why I love Odyssey - chances are, there'll probably be a thing or two on the list that you could use this year! Check it out!

1. Community.

You need a gang? We got you! It's always nice to have a group you can reach out to if you need! We support each other and often have overlapping interests with one another like greek life, academics, etc. Odyssey is about more than just individual writers - we're a community! Not just here at UW Madison but Odyssey is a national community that can help comment you to cool writers just like you all across the nation!

2. To apply to the J school.

So, you wanna do Public Relations, Strat Com, be am Journalist? Well let me tell you Odyssey is part of why I got into the journalism school! It's a great way to show your interest and dedication to writing while also being unique and exploring a creative outlet. Like seriously, Odyssey looks GOOD on that app, so help us help you!

3. To develop your writing skills.

You know what ELSE helps you? Not just to get into the Journalism school but in school in general, and then AGAIN later on when you're applying for jobs, or grad school, or scholarships, or whatever comes next... being a good writer! This will help you in more ways than you know and could ever imagine - I know it helps me in many facets both that I'm aware and unaware of. Who would say no to better grades, better changes at getting scholarships, and more opportunities in the future?

4. To build a resume!

Add it to your special skills. Make yourself stand out! Odyssey is an established platform with national recognition! That's kind of a big deal - something worth being a part of for sure!

5. To process and de-compress!

You can come here to vent! You can come here when all your thoughts and feelings are jumbled and you just want to pour them all out. I've sorted through so many events and experiences by reflecting on them and understanding them through my articles. It's sort of like a public journal where you can share as much (like op eds) or as little (research articles) as you want.

6. To make your voice be heard, and advocate for what you care about.

Odyssey helped me stop being a slactivist and actually do something! I stopped just posting things on Instagram and not doing anything. Odyssey inspires me to research current events and become informed. You can use it to spread whatever message you are passionate about and you think is worth sharing; weather is political, or about self love, or Bachelor In Paradise. Odyssey is YOUR platform to do with as you want, and now you have an audience for whatever you have to say.

7. Writing samples for future opportunities.

This. Is. Huge. Odyssey is one of few platforms where YOU get to own your own work! That means you can use your published articles later on and have an arsenal of writing samples to present to any application *coughjournalismschoolcough*, job or scholarship solicitation etc.

8. To keep your friends and family up to date!

It can be hard to keep your best friends + old soccer teammates + parents + family friends + your nosey aunt Lisa + you get the point updated on all the new things you're doing and experiencing throughout college. When you've got hours upon hours of homework, plus you got invited to Gordos by the fun kids down the hall it can be tough. This is a way to let everyone know what's happening, what you're feeling, what you're learning etc. And let's be honest - whose mom wouldn't love reading you "10 Things I Learned My Freshman Year" article!

9. It's low commitment

If you're lazy (or busy) like me, this is ideal. Two to four articles a month that I can write from my bed. Enough said. This is the kind of community for me.

10. To get involved - why not.

It's important to get involved on campus! It's hard to know where to start - start here because why not? Plus, it'll make your mom proud and maybe get her some Facebook clout for sharing your articles. Ok, can't wait to hear from you soon.