Joel Embiid's Injury Impact On The NBA Playoffs

Embiid has been a huge component to the Sixers' recent wins, but injury has plagued them once again.

98
CliveNBAParody on Youtube

Here we are, once again, reporting of a devastating injury that has plagued yet another NBA team.

During his rookie year in 2014, Embiid was ruled out the entire season due to a broken bone in his foot. After that, in June 2015, he had suffered yet another setback in his recovery.

Then, not too long ago, during the 2016-17 season, Embiid was forced to miss the remainder of that season after an MRI showed that his meniscus tear was not healing properly.

During these seasons, we wondered exactly what this young player had in store for us. He was finally relatively healthy to play this season, and we've been in for a ride since then.

'The Process' has been averaging 22.9 points, 11.0 rebounds, and 3.2 assists. He's been a dynamic force on both sides of the court for Philly thus far along with Ben Simmons.

This season has been put into question after him and teammate Markelle Fultz collided and Embiid suffered from a fractured orbital bone. It was confirmed Thursday night that he will miss 2-4 weeks, which would be close to the beginning of the playoffs on April 14. However, he could also miss the first round entirely.

Here's what Sixers' Brett Brown said via Sports Illustrated:

"We have enough fire power in this room to really cause some disturbances in the ecosystem of the East," 76ers coach Brett Brown said earlier this week. If Embiid can't make it back to the court in the next few weeks, that's not true anymore. That scenario comes with some obvious implications for the Sixers and the rest of East—Toronto, Indiana and Cleveland will sleep better—but more than anything else, it means the next month gets less entertaining for everyone.

ESPN staff writer Kevin Pelton took a deeper look into the situation:

Few players have made a larger difference for their teams this season than Embiid, who has had enormous impact at both ends of the court. According to NBA Advanced Stats, Philadelphia has outscored opponents by 11.6 points per 100 possessions with Embiid in the lineup, far better than the Houston Rockets' league-leading plus-9.3 net rating. When Embiid goes to the bench, the 76ers have been outscored by 3.9 points per 100 possessions, barely better than the New York Knicks' net rating (minus-4.4).
Amazingly, that's true despite the fact that Philadelphia coach Brett Brown has staggered the minutes of his two stars, keeping Ben Simmons on the court more than 80 percent of the time Embiid is on the bench. With Simmons but not Embiid, the 76ers are still outscored by 2.3 points per 100 possessions. As Lowe has noted, however, that has been better lately. Philadelphia's net rating with Simmons alone is a healthier plus-4.2 since the All-Star break.

But, as Embiid said, we gotta trust the process.