10 Relevant Summer Jobs Ag Majors Should Apply For ASAP

Forget the summertime blues, and apply for one of these positions today.

138

As a college student, we all understand the concept of being broke. Everyone is broke. We are all poor. We are all fighting for scholarships, and constantly job searching. I spent a large portion of my day yesterday networking in order to find jobs closer to home for the summer so I can work around my summer course schedule.

The job hunt got me thinking about ways to encourage my fellow students on their never-ending job hunt. In an effort to help y'all out, I have compiled a list of 10 jobs that aren't off-the-wall random and might just pertain to your major!

1. Assistant Wildlife Biologist

Guys, you can do literally anything and get a cool job title like this. Maybe you landed an internship with a private company that works in wildlife conservation like the Wild Turkey Federation, or you got a job working with an area Wildlife Resources biologist. Guess what? You get a fancy title, and a summer filled with hands-on experience! It's as much fun as catching Pokemon!

2. Assistant Fisheries Biologist

Similarly to a Wildlife Biologist, perhaps you got on with a department like the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service! Jobs like these provide resume-building experience with practical, career-focused learning that you can cater to your area of study! Like fish? Seriously, check it out. Ichthyology is super cool! You'll definitely feel like Jeremy Wade!

3. Forestry Technician

I have plenty of experience in this department, so if you need a local hook-up, then HMU. Love trees? The outdoors? Reaching out to a local, privately-owned forestry company for the summer can be very rewarding. Fields of work include timber management, invasive species control, wildland fire protection, and logging crew work.

4. Landscape & Turfgrass Assistant

Come on, landscaping is so much more than just mowing yards! Floral design, ornamental trees, grass management, sod?! Okay, maybe it's just me that gets overly excited about landscaping, but trust me. It's worth it, especially if you've ever considered environmental design! Plus, there's more than likely a multitude of landscaping and turfgrass operations you can find locally!

5. Veterinary Assistant

While this one might be a little trickier to accomplish, landing a job at a local vet clinic is a coveted summer experience. Need those hours to apply to vet school? Maybe you need a little extra cash to cover some loose ends on club dues? This is the place to be. Be warned, though: it ain't all kittens and sunshine. Spoiler alert: dog barf.

6. Seasonal Park Ranger

Tennessee State Parks and the National Parks Service is always looking for fresh, young faces to join their seasonal ranger ranks. If you're lucky, there's a state park close to home! Seasonal rangers have a variety of duties ranging (hehe, get it?) from wildlife rehabilitation to park cleanup. If you're interested in parks and recreation or tourism, this is the job for you!

7. Farm Hand

While some of us come from the farm life, not all of us are farm kids! Working with a local farmer or operation is a great way to gain on-the-job experience in regards to the agricultural industry, and can be a unique way to either become acquainted with the farm life or branch off from your home operation!

8. Undergraduate Research Assistant

Y'all, talk to your Teaching Assistants! Graduate students always need fresh-faced undergrads to do the dirty work for them! Get out there and make a methods diagram. Crank out that research poster. Catch some bugs. Document some temperature changes. Do the science! Not all research positions pay, but you can't deny that the prospect of gaining undergrad research experience is pretty sweet, right?

9. Dog Groomer

Similar to the vet assistant, this one is a little common, BUT that doesn't make it any less important! Plus, you get to pet puppers all day. What more could a college student ask for?

10. Administration Assistant

Do not shy away from the thought of doing paperwork. Encourage the paperwork. Embrace the adulty-ness of working as an administrative assistant, and perfect your Microsoft Office skills. If you're lucky, you could be bossing other summer interns around one day. Isn't this what you really want?

Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee you that each of these jobs will be available in your area, or that the pay will be fair. It's a summer job, so we can't ask for too much! Just don't be afraid to get out there and get your hands dirty. Personally, I learned more last summer working while balancing summer classes than I ever have in my life. Being able to pay for anything, in even the smallest amounts, is one of the most satisfying feelings a college student can get!