Job vs. Schoolwork: The Great Debate

Job vs. Schoolwork: The Great Debate

The never-ending fight with parents.

11
Job vs. Schoolwork: The Great Debate

When I came back to Arizona a few weeks ago to begin my junior year, my parents final words still echoed in my ears: "Please actually get a job this semester." You see, over the last three years, that topic has come up countless times and, while I do see where they're coming from, every year I've still come home empty-handed in the job department.

I completely understand why my parents, or anyone's parents, would want them to get a job while in college; my parents began ignoring my calls because they know that 8/10 times I call, I'm asking for more money. While I know that my begging and pleading for "only 20 more dollars" is getting annoying, they don't understand that I am an in-demand woman and a job is a large responsibility to take on while at school. 

Every time I have the "great debate," as I call it, with my parents, I stick to my same reasons (yes, these are all legitimate):

• I do not have a car, therefore my possible employment options are very slim (I've explained that if I get a car, I'll get a job; my parents don't like that argument).
  • I am a very busy woman; I have school, my sorority, and I need to maintain some sort of a social life.
  • I am going to school to get an education, therefore I need to get good grades and getting a job will just take away from my study time.
  • I won't be able to get enough sleep if I have a job which will effect my school work.
  • My class schedule doesn't have long breaks, making it hard for me to find time to work.

To parents everywhere:
I 100% understand why you want your children to get jobs while in college, as my parents do, but going to school is our job (with the ocasional party here and there). I know, personally, I am INCREDIBLY greatful for my parents putting me through school and everything else they do; a job is a large time commitment, however, one I am just unsure I can currently make. I know that it would be nice to have some extra spending money but I need to maintain a good grade point average and not stress myself out to the point of a full nervous breakdown. So for now, unless one of the few places I did actually apply to calls me back, I am going to remain "the college junior who's too broke to function." Honestly though, I'm completely okay with that. (Mom and Dad, please don't hate me for this. I love you both)!