JMSN Is The Soulful White Boy You Didn't Know Your R&B Playlist Needed

The Michigan born artist JMSN (pronounced Jameson) is an alternative R&B singer that oozes sex appeal, soul and funk. If you haven't heard of him, get ready, because you're about to have another soulful white boy to be a fan of.

When I first stumbled upon JMSN, I was at work stocking palettes and had Spotify on shuffle and all of a sudden this soulful, funky bass started playing and then I heard some vocalization and before I knew it, JMSN was singing "So Badly (Single Version)" in my ear. I remembered stopping what I was doing to make sure I saved this song and remembered this artist. Something about his music was completely different from what I was used to hearing. Personally, I appreciate a funky bass line over a repetitive trap bass any day. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't listen to trap outside of a party or the gym. The way the music made me feel was different, it was an experience. Any time I play his music, my body can't help but pop, move, bounce or whatever to the beat.

JMSN, who is a fully independent artist, has been around longer than you thought. The singer, songwriter, producer, and multi-instrumentalist was featured on Kendrick Lamar's "Kill My Vibe," "Sing About Me," and "Real." JMSN's unique sound and voice stand out against the ones we as consumers have gotten used to.

The falsetto and silky smooth R&B tones with hints of EDM make his music stand out and his latest album Velvet, which dropped September 21st, keeps the same energy from previous projects and spoiled his fans with the fourteen track album a mere few weeks ago. While JMSN didn't reinvent the wheel with this project, it does stand out from the more contemporary and radio-friendly songs we here today.

The real reason why you should listen to JMSN? Because his projects are like soul-food. It makes you feel better, your skin starts to clear up the more you listen to him, and overall — it's amazing. Do yourself a favor and pull up whatever streaming service is offering you the best student discount and listen to JMSN. You won't regret it.