Ranking Jane Austen's 6 Major Novels

Ranking Jane Austen's 6 Major Novels

With the 200 year anniversary of her death coming up, I think it's time we take a look back on the authoress's iconic novels

2102
Ranking Jane Austen's 6 Major Novels
Patrick Tomasso

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Jane Austen is one of the most beloved authors in the literary canon. So much so, that there's quite literally a cult following of Jane Austen fans all over the world. These "Janeites" dress in Regency costumes, make pilgrimages to Bath, and are always ready to discuss any of Jane Austen's six novels (as well as her juvenilia). Even 200 years after her death, Jane Austen is still able to captivate her readers; both young and old. As a fellow Janeite, it is my duty to allow you to know which Jane Austen novels are my most and least favorite. Now remember, this is just my opinion, so don't loose your mind if your favorite doesn't get the top.

1. "Persuasion"

Published in 1818 (a year after Jane's death) this novel tells the story of Anne Elliot, a 27 year old soon-to-be spinster. Seven years earlier she had fallen in love with and was engaged to a naval officer by the name of Fredrick Wentworth. However, she was persuaded by Lady Russell (her mentor) to break off the engagement since he had no wealth nor any family connections to recommend him. The two are brought back together again when Anne's family home is leased to Wentworth's brother-in-law, reopening wounds that have long since been closed. This ranks as my most favorite Austen novel since it is her most complex and mature novel. By telling the story through the eyes of Anne, the reader is presented with a world in which society can persuade us to make choices that can affect our happiness, but, it also reminds us that we can have second chances at regaining that happiness: even if it is quite late in life.

2. "Northanger Abbey"

Although it was technically the first novel to be written by Jane, "Northanger Abbey" wasn't published until after her death (it was actually published along with Persuasion). Northanger Abbey tells the story of Catherine Morland, a sixteen year old girl who is obsessed with Gothic literature. So much so, that her imagination begins to affect her reality, warping how she perceives situations. When she accompanies some family friends to Bath for the winter season, she meets the Tilneys and is invited to their country estate known as Northanger Abbey (hence, the title). There, Catherine allows her imagination to run wild, getting her into troublesome situations. Seeped in satire and immense wit, Northanger Abbey is Austen's most juvenile, yet humorous, work.

3. "Emma"

"Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her" so opens one of Jane Austen's most humorous and satirical novels. "Emma" tells the story of Emma Woodhouse, a meddlesome young woman who believes she has the talent for making matches between people. She intends to match her friend Harriet Smith with the eligible Mr. Elton, but things don't go as planned. "Emma" is a joy to read since I always find new and interesting things within the narrative each time I go back and reread it. Also, a little known fact: Clueless is actually a modern film adaptation of Emma! How cool is that!?

4. "Sense and Sensibility"

"Sense and Sensibility" tells the story of two sisters: The sensible Elinor and the emotional Marianne Dashwood. The Dashwood sisters and their mother are kicked out of their step-father's home after their step-brother's new wife demands that they be sent out and given only half of the annual income promised to them by the late Mr. Dashwood. The novel also touches on the romantic relationships of each sister and how they ultimately affect their emotional well-being. Jane Austen almost named the novel after our two heroines, but, found the current title to be more fitting since each sister fit the role of both Sense (Elinor) and Sensibility (Marianne). This novel proves that Sense cannot survive without Sensibility since they each equal each other out and create harmony.

5. "Pride and Prejudice"

I feel as though I should explain myself before I'm killed for ranking "Pride & Prejudice" so low. Let me start off by saying I love "Pride & Prejudice", it's narrative is entertaining and it's characters are both relatable and memorable. However, I think it gets too much attention as opposed to the other novels and I believe that it isn't the best representation of Austen's work as a whole. If you didn't already know, "Pride & Prejudice" tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet: a spirited young woman who is navigating the marriage market along with her sisters. When two very eligible bachelors enter the neighborhood, Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy, Mrs. Bennet scrambles to get her eldest daughters (Jane and Elizabeth) married off to both men. However, Lizzy's prejudice against the prideful Mr. Darcy creates friction between them, creating one of the most amusing courtship narratives in literary history.

6. "Mansfield Park"

Sadly, "Mansfield Park" ranks last on my list. I so desperately want to love "Mansfield Park" since it was Jane's favorite novel that she had written. It is also considered her magnum opus by literary critics and scholars because of it's darkness and intense complexity. But, it is quite a difficult story to get through, thus making it hard for me to love it. The novel tells the story of Fanny Price, a poor relation whom is adopted by the family of her wealthy maternal aunt and is given a better education than she would have received with her own family. Fanny is quiet and shy, as well as highly moralistic which makes her the least favorite heroine with most Janeites. "Mansfield Park" also touches on slavery since Mr. Bertram owns plantations in the West Indies, thus supporting the immense estate that is Mansfield Park. Maybe someday I'll go back and reread "Mansfield Parki", and maybe then I'll fall madly in love with it.