Thanks, Odyssey

Thanks, Odyssey

It's been real and it's been fun

33
Thanks, Odyssey
Damaris Wyand

I have been a part of Missouri Baptist's Odyssey team since it started. Over the course of that time, I have been a content creator, contributing editor, and now editor in chief. Odyssey has taught me many things, given me a voice and improved my skill as a writer.

Odyssey gives college students the opportunity to learn and become better writers. No matter if you're an experienced writer or a newer one, you have an opportunity with Odyssey. What's more, as a contributing editor and EIC, I have had the opportunity to teach creators how to be better writers and share content will be relevant and meaningful to those around them.

Odyssey has taught me AP style. I had never written in AP style before I started writing for Odyssey. My life was forever changed by the discovery that the Oxford comma is unnecessary. My friends might make fun of me, but I'm never going back to Oxford commas. Please don't even try.

I am convinced that people write their best work about the things they are passionate about. Seeing my writers being able to put their passion into words is beautiful. I've read countless articles that have come straight from the heart of my writers about things they love and things they hate. Things that have hurt them. Things that have made them who they are. Writing something raw and beautiful is an opportunity that many would never have had if it weren't for Odyssey.

As a content creator, I have had the opportunity to write across all different subjects without restriction. I have written about religion, God, church, parking tickets, music, travel and politics. Although my college classes provide valuable experience in writing assignments, there isn't nearly that same freedom of topics.

Odyssey gives all viewpoints a voice. I've read many article from a diverse and vibrant group of people, and have gained an appreciation and sympathy for people who are not like me. Scrolling through the front page on Odyssey's site, you will see articles about feminism, national and world news, politics, religion, human rights and countless other topics. There is truly a diversity of viewpoints among Odyssey content creators. While I'm not going to agree with some of those viewpoints, I think it is very valuable to have a place where every view has a place for expression. Right or wrong, reading other people's ideas has broadened my thinking and given me sympathy and perspective that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

This is my last Odyssey article. I'm thankful for the opportunity I've had to write and work with others to create meaningful content. It has truly been a pleasure.