It's Time To Stop Being Afraid Of Shariah Law

Muslim Americans aren’t looking to “take over America” with Shariah.

28
Ted S. Warren / AP

A grassroots, far-right organization called ACT for America coordinated a series of “Marches Against Shariah” in almost 19 states across the country that took place on Saturday, June 10th. The group hoped to demonstrate their long-held opposition to Shariah Law, Islamic doctrines and managed to amass a following of right wing extremists.

As it turns out, despite the far right’s extensive use of Shariah as an excuse to criticize Islam, many people are still unclear as to what it is exactly. So listen up Fox News, Scott Presler (national coordinator for the anti-Islam marches) and anyone else willing to sit down and broaden your horizons, I’ll break it down for you.

What Shariah Is

Linguistically, the Arabic word Shariah quite literally translates to a “clear path to water.” This meaning is explained by Faraz Rabbani, an Islamic scholar, who said that, “The linguistic meaning of Shariah reverberates in its technical usage: just as water is vital to human life, so the clarity and uprightness of Shariah is the means of life for souls and minds.”

Simply, Shariah is a set of ethical, moral and religious guidelines set forth by the Quran (Islam’s holy book) and the Hadith or Sunnah (the teachings and example set forth by the Prophet Muhammad). Shariah guides its Muslim followers on a range of things such as marriage, diet, property and even honor. It serves the same purpose as canon law in Catholicism or Halakhah in Judaism.

What Shariah isn't is a legal system. The Quran teaches that Islam is not to be a matter of state and Prophet Muhammad himself prohibited Shariah’s own doctrines to be forced upon any unwilling individual. Qasim Rashid, human rights lawyer and Islamic scholar, writes that the various branches of Shariah work together to, “Create a society based on justice, pluralism and equity for every member of that society.” That is to say, Shariah champions values such as freedom of choice, kindness, equality and most importantly, justice.

Why It Was and Still is Being Protested

The fear of the unknown can be a very powerful thing. You see, many of the individuals participating in these marches have heard or been told sinister things about Shariah law and its role in the “radical Islamic agenda.” Things like all Muslim Americans want to replace democracy, the American ways of life and essentially take over the country with Shariah law.

None of these things are true.

First of all, as I’ve mentioned before, Shariah within itself prohibits its own use in any legal systems, as well as any and all compulsion in following its doctrines on any unwilling person.

Second, Muslim Americans aren’t looking to “take over America” with Shariah. We just want to be able to practice an aspect of our religion privately without having to reassure the bigoted masses that we hold no ulterior motives. You know, freedom of religion, that one constitutionally inalienable right promised to all Americans?

What About Countries That Enforce Shariah Through The Government?

The countries that forcibly impose Shariah on their citizens do so with a blatant disregard to Shariah’s core value of freedom of choice. Their versions of Shariah are also twisted with authoritarian visions of control that are further muddied by the desire to reinforce restricting political agendas. Essentially, what these governments push is as far from actual Shariah as one can get.

The far right and other critics have also consistently referred to “extreme” verses in the Quran to delegitimize arguments for Shariah and for Islam as a whole. Cherry picking verses like these to spread hatred or fear and taking (from any religious text) out of their cultural, historical and spiritual context never makes for valid or “honest legal interpretation” as Qasim Rashid points out. In addition, faith leader, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, explains that the cultural atmosphere of the time played a role in the way Shariah was outlined and interpreted, but in truth, “The religious imperative is about justice and fairness.” Meaning, a Muslim that endeavors to uphold and respect the values of justice, freedom, faith and kindness is one that has stayed within the moral guidelines of Shariah.

Shariah law is incredibly complex. As I wrote this article, I myself had to research the subject extensively to learn more about this piece of my religion and speak knowledgeably about it. Muslims and non-Muslims alike are impressionable to the lies spread about this important aspect of Islamic faith. This is why it’s crucial to educate yourself and others to avoid falling prey to prejudice and discrimination.