It's On Us

It's On Us

A campus comes together to end sexual assault on campus.

44
It's On Us

In a time when Greek Life does not have the best reputation from the media's standpoint, it is important to highlight the times when both sororities and fraternities can come together for one good cause, especially when it is a huge event like Sexual Assault Awareness week.

Just this past week, the entire student body at Northern Arizona University teamed up with its Greek Life to bring the It's On Us campaign to campus, to help bring awareness to the shocking statistics that nearly one in five women are sexually assaultedduring their time in college.

Bringing that that number to life for all to see were 2,000 mini blue flags placed in the grass in front of the student union to symbolize how many students sexual assault actually impacts.

(Left to Right): Gamma Phi Beta's Rachel Waite, Maraina Frabbiele and Sami Fantin, supporting the It's On Us campaign at Northern Arizona University.

"It was moving to watch students stop in their tracks to look at the flags and realize how important sexual assault awareness is and how we can stop it," Josh Sandell, Junior.

Over the course of the week, several events were held where the different sororities and fraternities came together, such as making shirts to spread the word about the campaign, and how everyone can take part in making college campus a safer place. This event not only helped the incredible campaign, but it helped bring the university and Greek Life closer together.

Just two of the T-shirts submitted and designed by our sorority chapters outside the Union representing the intolerance of sexual assault and rape within the NAU Greek Community.

Most events put on by fraternities and sororities are filled with other chapters supporting one another and therefore, non affiliated students are often times left out completely, but this week brought all students together and really helped the Greek community by showing University officials that Greek life is a valuable asset to the university. Together, we learned what consent was and was not and afterwards, nearly 1,000 students and faculty members at NAU signed the pledge...

To recognize that non-consensual sex is sexual assault.

To identify situations in which sexual assault may occur.

To intervene in situations where consent has not or cannot be given.

To create an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.

In one week, we learned that Greek life and the rest of the university are a team and that together, we can stop sexual assault because it's on us, as people, as friends, and as students. It is on all of us to reject the quiet tolerance of sexual assault and to refuse to accept what's unacceptable.

You too can take the pledge here

For more tips about how to stay safe, or even help a friend, please visit http://itsonus.org/#tools.