It's My Life And I'll Cry If I Want To

It's My Life And I'll Cry If I Want To

Emotions don't discriminate based on gender, so why should we?

10
It's My Life And I'll Cry If I Want To

Society imposes the perception that the general display of emotions is the ultimate way of revealing one’s Achilles’ heel. In other words, those who are apathetic and stoic are envied, possibly even praised. On the other hand, those who make their mental state known are exposing a chink in their emotional armor. This should not be the case.

In some ways, the archaic ideologies that were spawned during the time of warriors have followed the male population. For eons, the men of our villages were told something along the lines of "suck it up, buttercup" and "put on some big boy pants." The tears of males are supposed to be as elusive as jackalopes or as nonexistent as, well, jackalopes. These arbitrary beliefs do not breed the stoic Easter Island statues society has in mind. They create an environment that fosters inner turmoil and self-hatred.

The aforementioned ideologies have victimized women equally. If men are encouraged not to portray emotions, then women definitely shouldn't be granted that privilege either. If an emotion other than happiness is projected, it is automatically attributed to womanly hormones or the menstrual cycle. Despite popular belief, a case of PMS does not permanently contort a female's ability to have legitimate sentiments. If this were the case, there would be a lot less social, political and technological progress on our planet. To be frank, having a uterus should never invalidate an individual's passions.

Numerous studies have been conducted, yet it is difficult to pinpoint a distinct difference between male and female emotional patterns. At one point, a group of researchers at Mindlab reached the conclusion that men are more emotional than women, yet men tend to hide their emotions better. With this in mind, the gender roles imposed by society may be the only reason we retain the perception that men and women are separate emotional entities.

What we really need is an psychological revolution. A revolution that says "It's my life, and I'll cry if I want to." Emotions don't discriminate based on gender, and neither should the human race. The emotional barriers we are forced to hide behind prevent us from finding the solace we desperately want. It's time to watch those barriers crumble at our feet and share some hugs.