italian tre colore cookies

Italian Tre Colore Cookies

The most delicious AND pretty cookies you will ever taste.

26
La Coltivata
La Coltivata

I'm a total sweets girl and since the holidays are right around the corner, well what better than to wow your guests with a delicious and beautiful cookie recipe?

I always see these Rainbow Cookies at bakeries, so I decided to give this recipe a try. I couldn't keep my hands off the batter, and don't even get me started with the melted chocolate.

I will admit they do take a bit of time and patience, but oh so worth it.

Once they are ready, I like to put them in the freezer until serving... it keeps the chocolate from melting on your fingers. Enjoy!

Ingredients

4 large eggs

1 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

2 1/2 sticks of butter, softened

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon

salt

red and green food coloring

10 oz. raspberry preserves

7 oz. dark chocolate chips

let's make it

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease, flour, and line the bottoms of 3 9x13 in. wind pans.

2. In a bowl, beat eggs until they hold stiff peaks. Add 1/4 cup of sugar slowly.

3. In a separate bowl, beat together 3/4 cup sugar and butter until fluffy.

4. Add egg yolks to butter mixture and then the Almond Extract.

5. Fold half of the egg mixture into the butter mixture to lighten slowly, then add the rest gently.

6. Once all mixed, divide the batter into three separate bowls.

7. Sture red food coloring into one bowl, green into another, and leave the last one with no coloring.

8. Pour batter into pans, spread batter into even layers.

9. Bake one at a time, 8-10 minutes each.

10. When all layers are cooled, place green cake down first, spread the jam over it, then place the plain cake layer over it. Spread jam on that layer, and then place the red cake layer over it.

11. In a small pan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips. Spread the chocolate over the cake layers, covering all sides completely.

12. Trim the edges of cake and refrigerate for half an hour.

13. Cut into little squares, keep cold in the freezer until ready to serve. Enjoy!