7 things every freshman needs to know at ISU

7 Pieces Of Advice For Every Incoming Freshman At Illinois State

This might save your sanity.

4

Freshman year is such a wonderful time. No parents, living in a small dorm room, and being lost more than ever . . . But, that's freshman year! These seven things might just save you from going insane your freshman year. You can thank me later!

1. You need two cycles in the dorm dryers

When the dorms dryers ask if you want another cycle, you do it! Nothing is worth than having to pay another $1.10 because your clothes are still soaking wet after waiting a whole hour.

2. The line for Watty popcorn chicken is worth it

Every time it's always a crazy line but it's all worth it. That popcorn chicken is just different than anything else. You know what will be there tomorrow, class. You know what won't be there, popcorn chicken.

3. Shop at Barnes & Noble

It's the official bookstore of Illinois State University. A portion of what you spend in the store goes back to the university to keep student fees low. Also, the Alamo sucks.

4. Take Chemisty 102 with Professor Zona

If you don't take Chemistry with Zona, then you are making a big mistake. Although chemistry sucks, Zona has a way to make it fun. Before you start dreading the whole idea of taking a Chemistry class, just know that every single answer to the quizzes is on the Facebook page.

5. Explore the buildings

It's so cool to see all the hidden places in all the buildings. Go to the fourth floor of Felmely, it's a great place to cry. Go to Williams and see the marble staircases. Try to find the Milner ghost!

6. Drinking tickets are real, REAL

Yes, you heard right! It's true. The Normal Police Department knows that you drink. Yes, they will give you a ticket. The most drinking tickets in Illinois are given out at ISU. Stay safe out there!

7. It’s okay to change roommates

You are paying a lot of money to live in the dorms. It should be an amazing experience. If you don't like your roommate, change roommates. I swear, it's okay!

Freshman year is a big year! This is going to be the first year you live without everything in your hometown that you've always known. No worries, just follow these pieces of advice and you'll be good.