Exclusive Interview: Isa Marina

Exclusive Interview: Isa Marina

The singer opened up to Odyssey about True Colors, inspirations and more.

78

Isa Marina is a dynamic female artist and singer-songwriter from New York who is not afraid to covers important issues in her music. This includes self-confidence, romance and life experiences in general. By combining Latin and R&B; styles, Marina has created an ideally unique sound to accompany her delicate, yet powerful, vocals. In an exclusive interview with CelebMix, the singer opened up about her recently released EP, inspirations and more.

What can you tell us about your new EP, True Colors, and your experience recording it?

The experience was a true testament of our team's determination. The songs were recorded between Pittsburgh and LA, so matching up people's schedules, traveling, experimenting with new sounds and writers, yet making sure we kept the same vibe throughout while working in different studios, was not easy. But I think that in turn, it plays a major role in what makes the EP so special. Also, being forward thinking critics of our own work and really narrowing down on our best tracks throughout the process. We went through a lot of songs before we settled on the strong, final four that made it to the EP.

What inspired this EP?

Just really coming into my own as a person and embracing my upbringing; my culture. I really wanted to solidify my niche sound, and most importantly get some things off my chest. I was going through the beginning stages of finally releasing an expired situation-ship; I wanted to be direct and feel free. All the songs on the EP gave me that.

Do you have any inspirations in the music industry currently?

I love so many artists right now: Nipsey Hussle (God rest his soul), 2Pac, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Karol G, Natti Natasha, Etta Bond, Kehlani, A$AP Rocky. They inspire me for so many different reasons. But the core bond is that they all worked super hard to achieve their dreams and maintain their careers; their music is a diary of their lives. I relate to that experience on so many levels.

For people who recently discovered your music, what do you want them to know?

I want them to feel inspired and hopeful. I hope my music can bring those feelings to them.

What would you consider a highlight of your career thus far?

It would have to be performing on MTV's TRL; I cannot wait to go back to promo my own original music!

If you could open for any artist or band this summer on tour, who would it be and why?

That's a tough question! But it would have to be…Anne-Marie. I've always loved her music. Her music is fun and vivacious, but very truthful (great storytelling). I think it would vibe well with the sound I bring to the table.

What can fans look forward to in the near or distant future? Music videos, tour, etc.

Expect a tour very soon!