Irreplaceable worker

10 Ways to be an Irreplaceable worker

Attitude is everything!

40
10 Ways to be an Irreplaceable worker

As college students, some of us have basic entry level jobs that could replace us easily if they wanted too. In order to keep our jobs and be respected by our co-worker and bosses we have to work hard and have a good work ethic. Here are ten ways to do that:

Have a good attitude!

c1.staticflickr.com

Having a good attitude is the key to being an excellent worker. When people see that you are always smiling and not complaining constantly about your job and what it consists of they consider you a good worker. Who likes to be around people who have bad attitudes and constantly complain? I don't think anyone does. When you're around someone with a good attitude it makes you want or have a good attitude as well.

Respect others

img00.deviantart.net

Understand that the people above you deserve respect because of their seniority and/or position. They will likely know the job better than you even if you don't realize it. Respect your fellow co-workers as well. Being respected makes people feel valued inside their job.

Know your place

c1.staticflickr.com

Even if you think you know better, do not admit it. There is nothing worse than an arrogant person who always tries to flaunt their "knowledge" or act like the "boss" of the true boss. If you think you have a suggestion that may help the business, make sure you have the attitude and respect points down first. Also, make sure you submit your suggestion as a suggestion instead of an " I know" remark.

Put your heart into it

c1.staticflickr.com

Find a way to find a purpose within your job. Finding a purpose makes it easier to truly care about your job. It will also give you a passion that would be hard to replace. When you put your heart into the job it makes the work a lot easier and fun because their is a personal purpose to it now.

Be early

c1.staticflickr.com

There's a saying that says something like "if you aren't early than you are late". Being early shows initiative. Being late is definitely a red-flag to leaders. Being early also shows that you are prepared and not rushing to get there or get things done on time. It shows that you are a good manager of your time, which can be rare.

Leave late

upload.wikimedia.org

Leaving late is frustrating, but when your boss sees that you are staying later than your scheduled shift, they will begin to respect you. Leaving late will also show that you will not leave until everything is completed and all the loose ends are tied up for the day. This shows that you know how important it is to truly complete a task and not rush to complete it and making errors because of rush to get off the clock.

Be willing

c1.staticflickr.com

Be willing to go the extra mile and do something you might not necessarily get paid to do. If your boss sees your willingness this could lead to a promotion. You would be proving what you are capable of and what you can accomplish.

Be likable and create relationships

c1.staticflickr.com

If people like you then they will want to keep you around. Show that you care not only about your job but also about your co-workers and bosses.

Be trustworthy

c1.staticflickr.com

Spreading rumors and gossiping is the quickest way to lose friends and can even lead to job loss. People want someone they can rely on. They want someone they can trust not only with job assignments but also secrets.

Listen and improve

c1.staticflickr.com

You won't always do everything right so listen to people when they offer you advice or constructive criticism. Bosses like their employees better when they see improvement instead of them staying the same.

*While having a good work ethic is crucial to keeping a job, you should

never let people walk all over you and take advantage of you. Learn

where the line needs to be drawn. Going the extra mile versus doing all

the work while others do nothing are very different things.