Mother's Day

Mother's Day

Invaluable traits that I have learned from my mom.

9
Mother's Day

Every year, my siblings and I always think about what we should get our mom for a day devoted to her. My mom, in a humble voice, always responds that she does not want anything. Of course, we always get her something. This Mother's Day I want to give her a Thank You that is is priceless. I want to show my Mom that her unfailing love is appreciated. I hate to admit it, but we live in an age where we take our Mom for granted. I mean, they did bring us into the world. They continue to love us even when we fail to love us. In all, without my mom, I would not be able to function as a whole person. From the little tasks she carries out during the day to the big moments when I need her most, I just want my Mom to know that she is appreciated. I may not show it all the time, but I love her unconditionally. As I am twenty years old, I want to list the Top Twenty Things my mom has taught me:

1. Humility. Thank you for teaching me the importance of staying humble for you can always have less.

2. Kindness. Thank you for teaching me to never be the reason that someone feels insecure. Thank you for teaching me to spread kindness everywhere I go.

3. Beauty. You taught me that inner beauty is the true beauty. Although your outer beauty is surely flawless, you taught me that outer beauty is nothing without a beautiful heart.

4. Strength. You have been through hell and back, but have never shown weakness. Thank you for teaching me how to grow through what you go through.

5. Faith. Thank you for teaching me that with God, nothing is impossible. Thank you for raising me with a faith for I have something to believe in even when I feel like giving up. Faith has given me hope and hope has given me a will.

6. Happiness. You have taught me to see the good in absolutely everything. You have taught me that in every moment one's happiness is contingent to the quality of one's thoughts.

7. Gratitude. Thank you for teaching me that in life happiness cannot be owned or earned. Life is an experience that must be endured with grace and gratitude.

8. Endurance. Whether it be physical endurance, spiritual endurance, emotional endurance etc., you have demonstrated the will of perseverance. To keep on going, to endure and to maintain are key to living a successful and happy life.

9. Forgiveness. In life, it is so very easy to hold a grudge. There have been many times when I have wished to get back at someone who has done me harm or have wished to never speak to a person again. I have learned from you that staying mad will not do anything good. Forgiveness will liberate the soul and remove all fear.

10. Reflection. As I watch you read a newspaper article or be deeply immeshed in a novel, I have witnessed the beauty in being ingrained in one's thoughts. Through ones thoughts, one can only become stronger in mind, body and spirit.

11. Positivity. Even when I am in a bad mood and think the world is against me, you have taught me that my perception on circumstances and events are entirely in my control. Thank you for showing that inner and outer tranquility is a priority where negativity cannot exist.

12. Character. I am always afraid of what people think of me. I am always seeking to please everyone. I struggle in these two categories in life; however, you have taught me that being oneself will drive people crazy - in a whirlwind of jealousy. Thank you for showing me that "I was born to stand out".

13. Imperfection. I have always been a perfectionist ever since I was a little girl. While this might be one of my strongest traits, perfectionism is also my biggest downfall. Thank you for constantly reminding me that no one is perfect. Thank you for reminding me that it is okay to be perfectly imperfect.

14. Seeing. Instead of wallowing in self-pity, you have always looked at the big picture. You have served as the quintessential model of "seeing is believing." I have learned from you to accept that some things might not work out, but to always see the alternative, the bigger picture and the new adventure that might present itself.

15. Travel. Even though I know that you wish to travel more than we do, I hope to acquire the same will that you have to travel and explore the world. You have demonstrated that life is a journey and embark on the travel of life each and every day.

16. Patience. To be honest, I do not know how you do it, but my siblings and I might be the most high-maintenance people to exist. Thank you for teaching me to not only be patient with people, but how to be patient with myself and in life.

17. Limit. Even though it is often said that "the sky is the limit," you have constantly taught me that I am my own limit. You believe in me even when I do not even believe in myself. And, I thank you.

18. Existence. Sometimes I think when life gets tough and things do not go my way, I am so quick to give up and plunge into a state of depression. You have showed me how to exist and to be present. Life is too beautiful to wallow in self-hate and to not enjoy the beautiful state of mere existence.

19. Hello. "Hello" is one of the most known phrases across the world for a greeting. Thank you for literally teaching me the word "hello," but for figuratively teaching me to say "hello" to new experiences, adventures and people.

20. Self- Love. I am my own worst enemy. I am my biggest critic. I will never be pleased with myself. Thank you for teaching me that if you will never be able to love another human, if you do not love yourself. Thank you for instilling in me to be in love with my life and every minute of it.

Thank you, Mom!

I love you!