4 Icebreakers For  The Anxious Introvert

If you're an introvert like me, it can be difficult to break the ice with other people (especially those that you do not know). Personally, I am bad at starting conversations. Once the conversation is started, I can usually keep it going for a while. Lately, I've tried to make more of an effort to start conversations. I feel like I've got some good icebreakers that can help fellow introverts break the ice. Here are my 4 Icebreakers.

1. Ask Them About The Music They Listen To

Listen to Jessica Williams Gif By 2 Dope Queens Podcast

2 Dope Queens Podcast

I love discovering new music! Because of this I immediately found that when I asked this question, I could keep the conversation going. Music is a big part of many people's lives and it's everywhere. I think that personally, you can't go wrong with this question. Everyone has an artist (or multiple) that he or she listens to regularly.

2. Ask Questions That Lead To Storytelling

Neurads Gif

http://neurads.com/

This is a great way to break the ice because you won't have to talk a lot. You can sit and listen to the other person tell their story and gain conversation ideas from that. It's pretty easy and has helped me a lot when trying to start conversations with other people. Stories take at least 15 to 30 minutes to tell and this passes the time quickly.

3. Ask Them Their Thoughts on Beyoncé's Lemonade Album

Beyonce Lemonade LOL Gif

Beyonce Lemonade LOL Gif

This album was monumental and is a question that I always ask other people. If they like the album, keep the conversation going by asking them what their favorite song was or their favorite video. Ask them why they like the album and If they don't like it, move on and ask about something else.

4. Compliment

Issa Rae I Love How You Just Like Don't Even Care Gif By Insecure on HBO

https://www.hbo.com/insecure

There's always something that you can compliment the other person on whether that's their style. hair, or personality. Compliment them on it and this will help to start a conversation. If you like their shirt, ask them where they got it. If you compliment their personality try asking them about their interests in life and any hobbies they may have.

All of these icebreakers are what have helped me in the beginning. As I kept practicing and using them, the more I felt comfortable about starting conversations. Now, I know that I can absolutely do it on my own. However, this does not take away from the fact that I can still act reserved and socially awkward at times. But try some of these icebreakers out the next time you're meeting someone new!