Introverted Does Not Make You Antisocial

Stereotypes are not always true.

34
QuientRev

In such a society that focuses, for better or worse, on mental well being and personality "typing" through online testing, it has started to feel like each and every ordinary day and its interactions have been touched by the stereotypes and misconceptions associated with these labels.

Introverts are labeled as shy and antisocial, and sometimes even generally covered by a blanket label of socially awkward. Extroverts, in contrast, are labeled as outgoing and friendly, and they don't seem to face the same stigma of something being off in their habits during social interaction.

For some reason, society has come to associate those of us that prefer to spend more time by ourselves, existing in the quiet solace of our own minds as a form of recharging, with a plethora of anxiety disorders and overall disconnect from social situations.

This, for the majority of introverts, is an insult because it is far from the truth. I, an introvert myself, believe I speak for quite a few people when I say that introverts are different from extroverts, but not to the degree that we are made out to be.

Just because a person chooses to spend their downtime in the comfort of their own home, an isolated area of town, or even the quite corners of their own mind, does not mean they are avoiding social interaction. Sometimes, people just need to take time for themselves by themselves. This is how we regain the energy that we lose from social interaction.

Personally, I am a more internal person. I like to observe the world as it goes by. People watching is one of my favorite things to do. Not because I enjoy or gain some kind of sick pleasure from judging others, but because I like to see how others live their own lives.

I enjoy making general observations of minute social interactions. I enjoy comparing the different ways that people treat each other, the ways they present themselves in one situation compared to another, the small acts that people take to make the lives of others a little easier.

I like to imagine what's going through their minds. I like to think of these observations as a way of understanding others, learning how a variety of people function just by observing. This does not make me antisocial.

I interact with other people on a daily basis. My summer job, waiting tables at a local restaurant, has depended heavily on this type of interaction and I have learned to enjoy it. However, this type of interaction wears me out. I leave work every day feeling more tired than I would after a long day of classes, a long workout, or just a generally busy day running errands. Spending time talking to and helping others is taxing for me mentally. Instead of a physical exhaustion, what I feel is an emotional and mental exhaustion.

I enjoy it, nonetheless.

Allowing myself some alone time each day has allowed me to persist in this job and continue to enjoy it. I am an introvert and I have successfully earned money in a job that is usually preferred by extroverts.

I am not antisocial, sometimes I just get too tired to interact. I am only shy until I get to know a person. I don't isolate myself because I can't handle the world, I spend time by myself because I like to be quiet and reflect.

We introverts have been labeled, although not outright, as antisocial, awkward, critical, cold, and anxious people. With a few exceptions, of course, this could not be farther from the truth. Some of the most intelligent, caring, and happy people in history have been introverts. The regular requirement for time spent in quiet reflection and observation has created some of the most successful CEO's, most giving humanitarians, and most creative artists in the world.

We are introverts. We may cancel our plans for the night and read a book instead. We may sit quietly in the corner of the party and seem to lurk. We may seem to fit the mold of the typical anxious, antisocial, critical introvert, but this is not always the case.

Before you jump to conclusions about a person, based on the way that they elect to spend their time, alone or in the company of others, take time to truly get to know them. Every person is different and the only way to truly learn these differences is to invest the time and effort in getting to know them, free of stereotypes and misconceptions.