Introducing Hela

Introducing Hela

She's a new character, but also the best part of the new trailer.

133
Introducing Hela
Comicbook

Marvel dropped the latest trailer for "Thor: Ragnorok" last week. It was funny, informative, and made me excited for a Marvel film once more. I am current and avid reader of the Thor comics, particulary Jason Aaron's run. Funny, witty, and overall one of the best comics currently, it is good to see some element of that creep in to the films.

Hela is an interesting character for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, she is the ruler of Hel, or was at some point for sure. If you know anything about Norse mythology, then you would also know that Hela is the daughter of Loki, but in the Marvel world, there is speculation about that because it is neither confirmed or denied. She was recently in the "Angela: Queen of Hel" comics because she is dethroned by Angela in her quest to save her lover.

There are small indicators that hint at a familial relationship between the two. First off, Hela's physical appearance. Cate Blanchett (47) is probably one of the most gorgeous actresses alive, but she is considerably older than Tom Hiddleston (36) who plays Loki. Now, if they wanted to not make an effort to connect the two, then they could have let her look her age and not put her in a catsuit. Now, this asks the question of whether or not she will be his daughter or his mother. Neither are really ideal in terms of the story and mythology that they have already set up within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It would not be too unusual for Hela to be revealed as his daughter, but despite what I think and would prefer, her being his mother would be more plausible given the age difference.

Another indicator is the amount of green in her costume. Hela's colors have been light green and black, with some variation over the years. For this film, the green is darker and similar to the green in Loki's armor. This could just be lack of oversight on Marvel's part, but I highly doubt it. Both are villains and antagonists, so if there is a lack of connection, then it would be unusual.

I believe that Hela is in possession of the last Infinity Stone or will be. This is the last film to come out before Avengers: Infinity War and I doubt that last stone will appear in the Spiderman movie. We could get the next and last Infinity Stone in the next Guardians of the Galaxy, but I think it is more likely to be seen in this film. To tie it even further into the over-arching plot, Hela could also be a fusion a of the character Death, who Thanos competes for the affection of. As the ruler of Hel, it could be possible and a smart decision to combine the two. Death is also associated with Deadpool and so the use of that character in that capacity might be limited.

The best part about this entire trailer is not the reunion of Thor and the Hulk. It is not the fact that Loki has a new helmet (which is cool because it is inline with his current comic version). It is the insanely cool and comic book accurate headdress. I love the little details that are incorporated like this. This is Hela's traditional form and the one I am more familiar. The use of her traditional form is not exactly indicative of an appearance of Hela, but it does inspire the hope that we could see her on screen eventually. It is possible that there could be a brief mention of the Angels, as we don't exactly know who Hela is fighting with.

I am excited for this film to come out and cannot wait to see if any of my speculations correct. There are more trailers and speculations to come, I assure you. Let me know what you think about this new character and upcoming film.