VOICE

VOICE

An Interview With the Man Who Spreads Positivity Through Rap

20
VOICE
Kheryssah Resendez

Zachary Vick, a Topeka native, has been gaining popularity worldwide as the rap artist VOICE. His positivity and authenticity, along with his music, has attracted the attention of people from all ages. He graciously allowed me to ask him some questions about his journey.

Q: When did you start rapping/What inspired you to start?

A: Rapping has been a hobby of mine since I was in the 8th grade, even though I was terrible for my first 6 years (it's very true) I was inspired to begin rapping on a very specific occasion and I speak on it in some of my works. The following day after watching my brother get stabbed I went to school and had to act unphased, ya know, try to play it cool. I walked into gym class and went down to the locker room to change but my emotions were starting to boil over internally at that point so instead of going back upstairs with the rest of the class I hid in the corner of the shower room. I turned on my MP3 player and grabbed a notebook, I had planned on drawing or writing about it like a diary almost but as soon as my pencil touched the paper I lost all control and tried throwing the MP3 player at the wall. The headphones had snagged my hoodie pocket and I collapsed on the floor crying like the lost, scarred child I was. After gaining control of my emotions I realized that I could still hear the beat playing through my ear buds and used the melody to write a poem about the event last night. When I was done writing I had unintentionally created my first rap song.

Q: What do you think distinguishes you from other rappers?

A: Almost everything in my opinion. I limit my cussing and try to be a conscious rapper yet I have the ability to still produce "party" music. It's that fine line I walk where most rappers can only participate in one or the other. Also, I am an artist not just a rapper. Being an artist means that music is only 50% of what I really do. My job is to influence the world, my music brings many people to me via messages, comments, calls, etc. and I genuinely take every opportunity to enlighten my fans. My fans know my story and support the struggles I have overcome because most of them can personally relate to it, Voice Nation is the title of those wonderful people. Voice Nation is anybody that supports me or my message of optimism and I do have people that strongly dislike rap music but they proudly represent Voice Nation because of the positivity my people emanate. Voice Nation alone is my most prominent distinguishing force that separates me from other rappers, like I mentioned before some of my fans don't even like rap music and some of my fans are over 60 years old. I am different, I am change, and with Voice Nation I am reality.

Q: Why did you pick VOICE as your artist name?

A: Following off of what inspired me to start rapping, that same notebook I had just written my first song in I took to my next class. I began doodling on the cover of it and I wrote out "if only I had a Voice" I wrote Voice in very large print. It held some sort of deeper meaning to me than any other words on my notebook so I gave every letter an assigned word, I created an acronym with it. V - Victorious O - Obligations I - Inside the C - Chosen E - Entity. From that day forth I was VOICE a.k.a Victorious Obligations Inside the Chosen Entity. I held and developed the belief that everybody has a voice therefore everybody can be the chosen entity so long as your mindset held obligations to be victorious. I took one of the worst moments of my life and used it to exponentially propel my future into positively influencing the world with just a pen and a pad.

Q: How do you balance the Marine Corps, going to school, and rapping/promoting yourself?

A: Currently I have been blessed to have been afforded the opportunity to take school full-time as my command (The Marine Corps stuff) has graciously signed off on my education. However, prior to this miraculous opportunity, I was working a full day of work to rush home and write a quick song to post to social media to let my fans know I was still trying. When I was on tour in the Los Angeles area I would work Monday through Friday and come libo (off work i.e. free time) Friday evening I was driving almost 2 hours north to do live showcases and performances. These would usually last till about 1 am that following Monday, where I would drive 2 hours south, sleep for 2 hours and get up to go back to work. There really isn't a balance by choice, it's a balance of necessity (making your desires a priority is necessary for success) the moment I would be free of work I would turn to my passion and vice versa. I'm taking my approach on school just the same and I hope to inspire others to go back and get an education, it's never too late to become a better you!

Q: Where do you find the inspiration behind many of your songs?

A: Inspiration to create a new song comes from my fans directly. I'll admit it there are plenty of times where I want to quit but I know how many people are watching me and realizing that chasing their dreams can be a possibility too. When I feel as if I can't do it anymore I log on to my social media and I see all of my wonderful people looking to me for motivation, unknowing to my fans I'm inches from giving up on myself, I reply back to them all with optimism and I feed off the energy they bring to the table. As far as inspiration behind the concepts in songs, I write about what has happened to me, what I can empathetically relate to, or what makes me feel good while writing. It's simple at the core of ideology but complex in the process of creation. Where intelligence, experience, and dumb luck have paved the way for my artistic methodology today.

Q: You're currently stationed away from Kansas, but at one point you wanted to help the community through rap. What do you hope to bring to Topeka?

A: I am thrilled to have this question, yet disappointed it says "at one point" because I have not given up on my community nor the projects I intend to create or participate in. My main goal is #VoiceStudios, what this would allow is for people who have a passion for creating music as I do get the opportunity to do so. It would provide Topeka a recording studio complete with hardware, software, and soundproof capabilities. The process is still ongoing and we are projected for completion at a 4 to 5 year timeline. The amazing facility willing to help make this a reality is the TSCPL (Topeka Shawnee County Public Library) and I am very thankful for everything they do for my community already and for their future plans but, being a public entity ran by taxpayers money, nothing can happen overnight or without proper approval from the governing committees.

Q: What has been the most exciting part of your music journey?

A: This one is easy for me, I would say interaction. I wasn't a very popular kid in middle school and most of high school, so becoming a well-known rap artist has brought about a lot more attention than I have ever been exposed to. This allows me to talk to people from every walk of life, I can vicariously enjoy the luxuries I don't have by speaking to more successful people than myself, but on that some token I can be humbled and relearn to appreciate what I do have, maybe even talking to the same person. On a daily basis I am talking to people in at least 4-5 countries around the globe and being able to literally build strong friendships with complete strangers has been so exciting to me. A lot comes with interaction too, such as checking out Snapchat stories and seeing my fans listening to my music or wearing Voice Nation clothes, and this too brings me a joyous feeling it's hard to describe in words. It's like putting out a beacon of hope you thought nobody would ever dare pick up and help shine out the darkness but instead watching the masses run to your beacon and blind out the darkness as quickly as they possibly can. I can't say this enough, I love Voice Nation wholeheartedly!

Q: Which challenges have you had to overcome?

A: My very first competition was about 4 months ago, it was also my first performance of my adult life. I walked up to the stage and one of the judges mumbled "another white rapper" and he stuck ear buds in and rated my entire performance with all 0's. Stereotyping is real and I happily accept it. The fact that most people doubt my lyricism because I'm white makes it so much more rewarding to win them over to my fan-base. So it is a challenge but one I enjoy having around.

Q: What is the most rewarding part of your music career?

A: Everybody wants power, it's just human nature but to hold influence is so much more honorable to me. I feel rewarded by realizing my influence, it's not like a competition to have the most influence, it's more like motivation to keep going. I talk to artists that are over 30 years old all the time and to hear them talk to me with respect and attentively listen to every syllable I pronounce is truly a humbling experience. I feel as if I have been chosen to help mold my people into a happier society. I started out very selfish just seeking my own happiness and fulfilling my own desires; the moment that I decided to make the world a better place and I earned influence is when I realized my own selfish desires were mere specks of happiness when true joy itself is making everyone else around you happy. If there was only one happy man alive and 7 billion sad people coexisting with him I don't believe he would stay happy for long. Pay it forward.

Q: What are your goals for 2017?

A: I will be leaving the military next year thus forcing me to pay more of my attention into school and learning an entirely new career. I want to focus everything I have into my music but I know I won't be able to afford such an endeavor. Sadly I will be forced to temporarily focus on my 9-5 until I am efficient in whatever I decide to pursue. If I get sponsored or signed onto a record label (separate from my distribution deal with Universal Music Group) I would like to have three singles by March, an EP (extra promo, smaller than an album, they're usually less than 7 songs) by June, and my first full length album including impressive artist features by next December. I want to start my international tour in the Philippines (they love me) and hit every military base I can (to pay homage to those still serving ) as I circumnavigate the globe ending in my hometown of Topeka, Kansas. 2017 will more than likely be the year I give up music to support me and my wife (maybe temporarily) or it will be the year I meet with someone who shares my dreams and helps me make it a financial reality. Either way I could die a happy man and if given the chance would do it all over again. I am forever in your debt and I never take you for granted Voice Nation, just stay platinum! #VoiceNation

For more information on VOICE and to listen to his music, visit www.voicenationofficial.com.

To stay up-to-date and follow him on Facebook, visit www.facebook.com/voicenationofficial