This International Women's Day I'm Celebrating My Sister

Cheers to the strong, supportive women in our lives.

227
Nik MacMillan

As I write this, my phone blinks with a message that reads "Happy women's day!" This year, as I reflect on all of the women in my life that have truly inspired me and helped create a wonderful journey so far (both familial and famous), I want to highlight my sister's role in my life—a role that has recently evolved.

My sister is 14 years older than me. Throughout my life, she was the image of adulthood that I aspired to be, but we weren't particularly close. I took her hand-me-downs, we went to malls together, she did all that big sister story-telling while I fact-checked her boogeyman stories. But, heart-to-hearts didn't really happen. I always turned to friends or my mom. I attributed it to our age difference. We never had the same realities, the same type of dilemmas, at the same time.

I remember the first time I felt like we connected—a McDonald's when I was 14, the same age she was when I was born. We went together to grab some food and ended up sitting in the fast food restaurant for an hour. I have no idea what we talked about now, but I remember thinking "wow, this is the first time we've talked like this. Is this the kind of conversation sisters closer in age have?" I was incredibly excited.

My later teens saw many trips to Barnes and Noble and lots of hanging out. A lot more topics of conversation were suddenly okay to discuss. After all that time, there was some opening up and some sisterly advice. She voiced opinions and imparted wisdom when she could. I grew to know her a bit more.

Then, came college. I moved out and our communication dwindled a little, but I still felt bonded more than before. But, moving back home for a bit has been a whirlwind, and we've never been closer. My sister and I may have started off with a big age gap working against our bond, but hey sis—you're a best friend now.

Since I'm writing this on International Women's Day, I dedicate my celebration this year to my sister, who has seen me through a lot and has been supportive every step of the way. We've shared, leaned on each other and been supportive no matter what. I used to worry what she thought of me, wondered if something was okay to share. Now, I know better. I know that my sister will always be there without judgment and with constructive advice to give. I will always do the same for her. Maybe we mess up every now and then, but that bond will still be unwavering. I'm happy we've made it here, after making it through a forest of differences.

Thank you for being there. I have no doubt, none at all, that you will be successful and independent and get through trying times. It'll be your moment of resilience — the moment you look back at and think "if I can make it through that, I can really make it through anything." I might not be home all the time, but you still got this. I promise. If you don't have faith in yourself, know that I always will. You're a lot stronger than you think you are.

Celebrate the strong, supportive, amazing, and trailblazing women in your life, not just this International Women's Day, but every day—because who knows where we'd be without them.