The Insufficiency Of Thoughts And Prayers

The Insufficiency Of 'Thoughts And Prayers'

The past couple weeks have been plagued with senseless deaths and violence. Enough is enough.

124

Within the past month, we have named three individuals "heroes." And because of these selfless sacrifices, a mother got to hug her daughters tight after they came back from a synagogue in San Diego, and a brother got to welcome his sister home from college in North Carolina, and a friend was reunited with another after uncertainty in Denver. For these acts of unsurmountable kindness and bravery, we, as humans, should be relentlessly grateful and deeply saddened. These deaths were unnecessary, even preventable.

How many more lives do we have to lose until we are motivated to promote change?

How many more families are going to lose their "hero?"

How many shootings must there be within a month for action to be taken?

Enough is enough. No more. No more senseless loss of lives. No more children failing to return home to their families or wives to husbands.

I am not advocating for the eradication of the Second Amendment nor the erasure of all citizen's guns. All we need is common sense.

The Second Amendment was ratified in 1791 when firearms took minutes to reload and the nation was fresh out of a revolution. Now, assault rifles can fire hundreds of rounds per minute - an idea unimaginable for the creators of the Second Amendment in 1791.

The solution is simple. While the world won't entirely change due to stricter regulations on guns, bad people will certainly find it more difficult to attain a weapon that they could simply pick up at gun shows. Atrocities such as this are preventable. And if not entirely preventable, unable to occur so frequently.

Stricter background checks and regulations on the number of magazines/styles of weapons are irrefutably fair and sensible. We cannot endure more tragedy and, while their sacrifice is honored, appreciated, and the purest display of human kindness/love, we should not need another hero.