Instagram Accounts That Make The App Worthwhile

#makeinstacasualagain

109

I'm not going to lie, I spend a lot of time on Instagram. Not entirely voluntary though, sometimes I just open the app and mindlessly scroll. I honestly contemplate deleting it all the time because I usually dislike many of the things that I see: influencers flaunting their make-believe lives, celebrities posting their fancy cars, and even some people that I actually know. But there are a handful of accounts that genuinely teach me something or that make me laugh or smile, so I compiled a list of my favorites.

@OverheardLA

People send in crazy quotes that they've overheard in various locations around Los Angeles and this account posts them. They are always hilarious and sometimes, quite relatable! And it is so much funnier to know that real people actually said them. Do yourself a favor and just scroll through their account for a little if you want to have a good laugh. They also have @OverheardNewYork, @OverheardLondon, @OverheardSanFrancisco, and @OverheardUniversity.

@shityoushouldcareabout

I honestly didn't follow politics as much as I should have but now that there is so much information available in so many different places, it is much easier to learn about the shit that happens in this world. I love this account because I seriously learn so much and it also provides links to petitions and charities that you can donate to which is amazing. They are not just raising awareness, they are also providing information on how to make a change.

@new_fork_city

How can you not want to follow this account after seeing that cheese pull??? I usually don't like following food accounts because they make me too hungry, but I have been following this one since I first made an Instagram. They take fantastic pictures of beautiful looking food and post where it is from (all in New York though).

@tfln

Just like the Overheard accounts, this one provides real-life conversations but this time, they occur after a ~rough night out.~ Some of these seriously make me laugh, other times they make me slightly concerned for the people involved but either way, it's all hilarious. If you have your own crazy texts from last night, they have open DMs!

@crazyjewishmom

Everyone knows a crazy Jewish mom, whether it be your own, some other woman in your family, or that one woman who you always thought you were related to but it turns out she is just your mom's best friend. What started as a girl posting screenshots of her and her mom's classic texts about "when are you getting married?" or "when are you having a baby?" to years later when she actually got married and is having a baby, these texts are iconic.

@hotdudesreading

I feel like I don't really need to say much here...I just really enjoy this Instagram account for obvious reasons.

@dudewithsign

This guy is awesome. No matter what the issue is, whether it be political or just plain necessary, he has a sign for everything. I love this one because of how ironic it is, but there are plenty of other good ones. I would for sure scroll through and save your faves.

@newyorkercartoons

Everyone loves cartoons but these I feel are extra special because they are from The New Yorker. They always tag the creator and it is really awesome to learn about all of the artists especially because they all have such different styles. This account also runs caption contests every week and if you win, your caption will actually be featured online and in the magazine!

@jewthings

If you're Jewish, this account is wildly relatable it's crazy. They are filled with cheesy memes and funny tweets that you will want to send to all of your camp friends that you met at your Jewish overnight camp.

@analogbynat

There are many things that I love about this account. The first being the gorgeous art and colors of every post, the second is that they are so simple! Every post is just something that you needed to hear and every time I pass these during my mindless scroll sessions, I feel a lot lighter inside.

So yes, I may spend a lot of time on Instagram but some times it is actually worthwhile. I totally recommend checking out these accounts because I genuinely believe that they are a valuable use of energy. Enjoy!