An Honest Review Of 'Insatiable'

An Honest Review Of 'Insatiable'

A whole show isn't summed up in one trailer.

7

So I spent my Friday watching all twelve episodes of the new Netflix show Insatiable while I packed for college. I knew the show was getting backlash over the release of the trailer for weeks now because of being doved as fat-shaming young women. I watched the trailer and saw a dark comedy tackling a real life issue. So I figured why not watch the show and then gather my opinion.

Without spoiling anything, I can honestly say that this show isn't about fat shaming or glorifying the idea of being thinner will make you happier. This dark comedy is about the story of Petty Bidel, a girl who has been bullied for years about her weight by everyone in her life. When she gets punched and has her jaw wired shut, causing her to lose 70 pounds. She gets treated differently by everyone who treated her like dirt. She decides to get revenge on those who hurt and berate her.

Patty's story through the season is that she learns to not be consumed and find happiness in the acceptance of others but that she finds acceptance with herself and who she is on the inside. That your size doesn't define you as a person but being healthy life is worth living. It isn't just her that learned this lesson. Each character goes through it individually and towards the end realize that hiding behind appearances isn't the way of living a life well spent.

The show talks about what people are afraid to speak on out in the open. From coming out to addiction, body issues to self-esteem. It doesn't sugar cote what is being address and are taken from real life events. People are quick to jump at something that doesn't fit the norm of approval. We saw it with every show or movie the comes out. 13 Reasons Why, Orange is The New Black, Girls. They aren't afraid to push the TV envelope to get the message out.

So before jumping on the bandwagon, take the time to sit down and watch the full series and see what it has to offer. Happy Binge Watching Folks!