15 Great Little Indies You Can Stream Now

Sometimes you just need a big budget break.

148
YouTube

Big Blockbuster films can be a lot of fun to see. So much anticipation, everyone's talking about them, the budget is so big that things look spectacular, but every once and awhile it's nice to see something a little... different. Here are some smaller indie movies you can stream now to cleanse your palate before Infinity Wars comes out.

1. Florida Project (Amazon Prime)

This movie is beautiful. Set in Orlando Florida right by Disney World, we follow Moonee a 6-year-old girl and her friends through an entire summer. This movie is a unique look at childhood and how the choices adults make affect their prospective children.

This movie feels so real. The children are so natural - it feels like the director, Sean Baker, just let them go at some points - the setting is grimy and there is no glitz to the cinematography. This makes for a special watching experience.

2. It Follows (Netflix)

OK, this will sound weird, but trust me it's good. Jay (Maika Monroe) sleeps with her boyfriend and contracts a demonic STD. There is constant dread because this demonic STD follows those who contract it. It is such an interesting take on a horror film.

3. The Beguiled (HBO)

This Sofia Coppola directed film is set during the Civil War. Union Corporal John McBurney (Colin Farrell) ends up in a Virginian all-girls school. Starring Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst, and Elle Fanning this movie will make you feel like a fancy lady. There's a little sexy, a little intrigue and a lot of beautiful imagery.

4. Good Time (Amazon Prime)

Honestly, you won't see anything like this movie. This movie follows Connie (Robert Patterson), a low-level street hustler as he tries to break his brother Nick (Benny Safdie), out of a bad situation. This movie is bonkers, but so much fun. It's like if the movie Drive had a baby with the TV Show Cops but from the criminal's perspective. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

5. Let Me In (Netflix)

Based on the Swedish film, "Let The Right One In" we follow a bullied little boy named Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) who befriends a little vampire girl named Abby (Chloe Grace Moretz). It is yet another interesting take on a horror film. It is not filled with blood and guts, but instead examines what it is like to befriend a "monster." It's super good and it has baby Moretz in it so that's cool.

6. Moonlight (Amazon Prime)

UGH!!! This movie is amazing. The rightful winner of best picture at last year's Oscars, Moonlight is based on a play called "In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue." It follows Chiron from boyhood to adulthood. This character is played by three different actors at each life stage. It is a brilliant look at black masculinity trying to deal with homosexuality. It's so moving and beautiful. If you haven't had a chance to see it yet go stream it now.

7. Wind River (Netflix)

I'm not going to lie to you this movie is a bit of a bummer, but it is such an important story that needs to be told. We follow Cory Lambert (Jeremy Renner) a reservation wildlife officer who has to investigate the murder of a young Native American woman.

This movie also stars the brilliant Elizabeth Olsen as an FBI agent. What is important about this movie is it brings attention to the many unsolved murders of Native American women. Don't watch this movie when you're bummed though.

8. Boyhood (Netflix)

This movie is so cool. Boyhood is about Mason (Ellar Coltrane) going through childhood to young adulthood in the early 2000's. What is so special about this film is the director Richard Linklater used the same cast and filmed this story for over 10 years. So you literally watch Ellar Coltrane grow up before your eyes. Also, if you were a child in the 2000's this movie will give you so many feels.

9. Monster (Amazon Prime)

Before she slayed the game with Wonder Woman, Patty Jenkins directs a brilliant Charlize Theron to a Best Actress Oscar in Monster. Based on the life of serial killer Aileen Wuornos, the audience gets a personal look at how a "monster" was created. If you are a fellow Murderino this is definitely a must see.

10. Inside Llewyn Davis (Amazon Prime)

Oh heyyyyy Oscar Isaac. Based in 1961 New York City, folk singer Llewyn Davis tries to break into the music scene. This Coen brothers movie is so underrated. It is filled with Coen brother humor that gives this story so much heart. Plus there's a cute cat.

11. The Babadook (Netflix)

Watch the movie that birthed everyone's favorite gay icon the Babadook. We follow a widowed woman (Essie Davis) as she deals with the trauma of losing her husband while raising her out of control child (Noah Wiseman). It is such an interesting look at grief; if you like smart thrillers definitely check this out.

12. We Need To Talk About Kevin (Amazon Prime)

This psychological thriller is based around Kevin (Ezra Miller) who displays antisocial tendencies and his fed-up mother Eva (Tilda Swinton). We watch as Eva grapples with trying to raise a troubled kid. It is heartbreaking, but a good look into the mind of a murderer. Especially now this film is important in trying to understand mass shooters. Another bummer, but it is definitely worth it.

13. Lion (Netflix)

Another Oscar movie - can you tell I have a bit of a bias - this one centers around Saroo (Dev Patel, Sunny Pawar) a little boy who got lost on a train in India. He eventually ends up getting adopted by a family in Australia, but he continues to miss his family in India.

So, when he becomes an adult, he begins a journey to find his family in India. Based on a true story, this movie will make you feel all the feelings. Be sure to have tissues.

14. Short Term 12 (Amazon Prime)

This movie spurred so many careers. Don't believe me? It stars Brie Larson (Room, Trainwreck), Lakeith Stanfield (Atlanta, Get Out), Rami Malek (Mr. Robot, Bohemian Rhapsody) and Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine).

Based in a foster-care facility for at-risk youth we get a personal look at how the kids' lives intertwine with the counselor's lives. It is such a sweet movie about hope and support. It is so wonderful I could not recommend it enough.

15. Hello My Name is Doris (Amazon Prime)

If this GIF doesn't make you want to see this movie then I don't know what will. The iconic Sally Field plays Doris, an older woman who develops a crush on her younger colleague (Max Greenfield). This movie is sweeter than candy and has a valuable lesson. You are worth putting in the work to become better. Perfect for a girls night, this movie will lift your spirits.