Was 'The Incredibles 2' Worth The 14-Year Wait?

Was 'The Incredibles 2' Worth the 14-Year Wait?

Does Disney redeem it's 14 year wait?

26
incredibles 2 logo
Disney•Pixar

SPOILERS AHEAD READ AT YOUR OWN RISK:

Disney and Pixar have done it again! 14 years, it's been 14 years since the release of Disney's and Pixar's superhero action movie "The Incredibles" (2004). Now during the summer of 2018, the collaborative team has released it's badass sequel "The Incredibles 2" (2018). The movie in summarization picks up where the last film left off, showcasing the Parr family, a family of superheroes who are forced to hide their powers due to superheroes being illegal.

As the mother and father (Bob/ Mr. Incredible, and Helen/Elastigirl) are confronted by a businessman named Winston Deavor who wants to change the way the world thinks about superheroes and wants to make superheroes legal again. At the height of any movie, there are some things the movie does quite well. While also at hand, things the movie doesn't do well. However, was the film worth its 14-year wait? Let's find out.

Good:

The animation/ action are amazing.

The movie picked up what the first lacked in forms of action sequences. Buffing up the action scenes, by adding a lot more and adding to the overall thrill of a superhero film. From runaway trains to helicopter chase scenes, the movie animates all of this extremely well. The movie also animates it's characters pretty well and it's returning characters are polished so well that it almost makes them look brand new.

The movie takes off right after the first film.

The film and its cast/directors know that it's been 14 years and even create an apology before the film starts. However, the movie picks up right after the last left off with the villain known as The Underminer. Starting off the movie with the huge battle sequence and picking up its premise and plot right from the aftermath of the battle. The movie feels as if it never left, and feels like a genuine transition creating an overall "one movie" feel to it. As you can almost literally watch both movies back to back and not feel a single dip and feel out of track.

Jack Jack's 17 Powers.

Let's be real here, if you didn't come to see baby Jack Jack in action, you're honestly lying. Jack Jack was one of the movie's biggest highlights and created a fun and charismatic touch to the film. As he showcases his "17" powers that he currently has; whether it's showcasing it through a fight with a raccoon, Edna's demonstration, or even through the movie's final act in the intense battle scene. This baby really hit it out of the park!

The movie's hidden message is very meta as the villain was understood and had a

good reason for their deeds.

In the movie, Winston tells Helen that she is the best choice at the moment to showcase why superheroes should be legal again. As Helen is put back into the spotlight as Elastigirl, while Bob is stuck home babysitting their three kids (Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack). While on superhero duty, she is confronted by a villain named Screenslaver. Who is trying to keep superheroes from being legal and creates an overall premise as to why.

In a particular scene, the "chase" scene, the villain creates a very sophisticated monologue on to what society does and what they label important. Stating that society would rather see the action than to look at the bigger picture in life. As society is very caught up in the media and what's on the screen, rather than what's in front of you.That we'd rather have things done for us than to do things ourselves, as we also would rather have things be done out of convenience than of quality. While also trying to portray the idea that society praised superheroes for their proud work instead of getting things done ourselves.

This form of speaking created a huge meta (referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential) moment as us the audience do exactly as what Screenslaver is stating. We the audience subconsciously chose to tune out what the monologue is saying and cared only for the action. As we the audience also praised the superheroes and attended all of our focus on the screen. Catching viewers in a funny sense of coincidence. I for one, loved this monologue and thought it as very insightful and felt like the monologue gave a creepy Heath Ledger's Joker vibe. And that's something I don't see is often implemented with villains, so thumbs up for that!

Bad:

Lots of plot holes.

The movie has many many plot holes. Some aren't as big of a deal but do leave the viewer wondering why and how. Examples: Why didn't Elastigirl get pulled over by cops when she's done heroic work if it's still illegal? How did the law get passed so quickly in a matter of days? Even if the villain succeeded what would they really get out of it? Is the superhero illegalization only passed in America? If not, what other countries have that illegalization? How did Winston get in contact with these new heroes, and where are they from? During the Screenslaver chase scene, the building exploded and showed the tenants leaving their apartments but not the building, did they survive? What happens to Dicker after the company shuts down at the beginning of the movie? Did Winston explain to the public what happened during the press conference when the supers took control? What will Winston do now that his sister is in jail? Now that supers are legal again at the end of the movie does Dicker get his job back? These were some questions I've had during and after the movie and others who've viewed the movie as well.

Where is the Underminer?

This is one of the biggest questions many fans had about the movie. As the end of the first movie teased him as a threat for the second film. Even at the beginning of the movie, the Underminer gets away and is never brought up ever. I mean like, never seen from again. That's kind of a head-scratcher, and although that confrontation led to the premise of the movie, it still poorly transitions when that bad guy is never really brought up again.

Villain's secret identity was predictable.

This is a huge spoiler, but in the movie, we find out that Winston's sister Evelyn is the movie's true villain and is actually Screenslaver. Evelyn actually hypnotized a pizza delivery guy to dress the part and framed him. Personally, the villain was fairly obvious, even given by the villain's name Evelyn Deavor. It literally sounds like "Evil Endeavor," if that's not a giveaway I don't know what is. Another note is the drunk philosophical talks Evelyn and Helen would have in regards to how society acts and what small agendas she'd wish society would build upon. These moments somewhat gave away the idea that Evelyn is the bad guy. But however, in the end, she did make a good villain.

Overall "The Incredibles 2" (2018), gives fans of the first film a good thrill and is honestly a good successor to it's first. Although it's not as incredible (pun intended) as the first film, it does satisfy fans who've waited 14 years for its release. I'll give the movie an 8.5/10, it segues from the first very well and keeps the momentum the first had. While also trying to reel in new audiences and keep the viewer in with it's hidden message and action sequences.

So, if you haven't seen the movie yet, I don't know why you've read this when I clearly warned you. But if you haven't please go watch the film, like now. Go right now, and enjoy yourself!