Inauguration Day: A Difference Perspective
Politics

Let's Change the Conversation

8
Donald Trump's Instagram

Yes, the infamous day has arrived. The day that millions have been dreading, and the other million have been anxiously saving their breath for. Trump has finally been inaugurated, and he is taking his rightful seat in the prestigious white house. Although, you will probably read 100 articles in the next couple of days about Trump, I want to shift the perspective from Trump to us, the people.

I hope that after this election, everyone in this country has taken notice that every vote does count. Many of the people out on the streets protesting the outcome didn't even go out to vote. Why? Because they thought that one vote would not matter. I guess now they see that when all those one votes decide to not vote, it's not longer just one vote. Our efficacy levels are down, and hopefully Trump will restore the faith and honor we once held for our country.

Next up on the list... we the people must stand united, not separated. At this point we should just rename the country. United States of America? More like Separate States of America. You can't enter a room without igniting a fight between a liberal and a conservative now a days. Our first president, George Washington, warned us about establishing parties in his farewell address, but for some reason we decided to ignore his wise words. And look where we ended. It is absolutely absurd that a person can't speak their mind about politics without there being an exchange in insults or the start of a protest. Just because someone doesn't share the same views as you when it comes to politics, or anything else, does not mean you can put them down. We should be able to listen to the other side and take into consideration their perspective. How can we grow as individuals if we don't try to understand everyone around us and their ideas. We have to be accepting of all thoughts, opinions, and actions, even if we don't agree with them. I can only hope that this election brings us together instead of tearing us apart.

Lastly, I am truly grateful to live in a country where I can speak my mind and not get thrown in jail for it. Thank God for the First Amendment. My family comes from a place where speaking your mind can land you 10 years in jail. People have fled the country because they are wanted by the military for speaking their minds. I full heartedly support those who stand up for what they believe in. Speaking of protesting... it is truly remarkable how many people have been able to gather to protest the same concern. The only problem with these protests is that these people are dedicating their time to something that truly can be reverted. Instead of widening the margin between liberals and conservatives, why don't we try to put our differences aside and concentrate on the same goal? Instead of protesting against Trump, why don't we join together and fight terrorism or promote equality for all races, sexes, and ethnicities? We have to be aware of what is effective and what is not effective. We live in an age where time is of the essence. Let's not waist it on things that can't change, and let's focus on what we can change together.

Let's unite and fight for what is important together, not apart.