In The Eye Of The Hurricane

In The Eye Of The Hurricane

There is refuge from the raging storms.

96
In The Eye Of The Hurricane
unsplash.com

Destruction. Chaos. Flooding. Evacuation. Fear. Questions. Relief. Shelters. Eye. Waves. Winds.

Had any one of these words been isolated, it would be merely a word describing perhaps a plethora of events, but you take and you start stringing these words together, and they take on a whole new meaning. For us they start to form an idea, but for our friends and family in Houston and The Keys and the surrounding areas these words form their reality: Total destruction, lives in chaos, homes and businesses flooded, evacuate immediately, fear of what tomorrow holds, questions about what is next, relief efforts from around the world, the calm and quiet eye of the storm, catastrophic waves, and winds faster than the speed limit on the interstate.

Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma have invited themselves upon the homeland of so many residents in a truly destructive and catastrophic manner, threatening to sweep away homes, businesses, cars, and even people. It is completely heartbreaking to watch the coverage, and to know that there is nothing that anyone can do to stop it. Yes, of course we can raise money and send food and rescue units, but there is nothing we can do about the storm itself. We have to let the winds swirl and the waters rise and pray that destruction is minimal.

My heart was so heavy this weekend as I watched the reports and weather predictions roll in. But as I scrolled through my Twitter feed, my attention was captivated by a video from Miami. No, the video was not a weather report, nor did it showcase the massive destruction brought to culmination by the fierce storm system. Instead, in Miami, Florida, a large group of residents gathered on the beach, faced the waves, and sang the most beautiful, heartfelt version of the well known worship song, "The Great I Am." With every verse the intensity and passion in their voices grew, as they called upon the name of the Lord, asking him to intervene on their behalf, declaring their praises to Him because nothing, not even a hurricane, "can stand before the power and the presence of The Great I Am." It was one of the purest and most beautiful acts of faith I have ever seen.

Here's the link to the video.

Here's the thing about a hurricane, there may be winds and water and destruction, but there is also an eye at the very center of the storm. The winds will swirl violently all around it, but in the eye of the storm everything is calm, quiet, still, and peaceful. I happen to think this is by grand design; actually, I know it is. My heart and prayers go out to the storm victims, and I pray that they experience the true eye of the storm.

I think so many times though we have Hurricane Harvey's and Irma's in our own lives, not coming up from the waves of the ocean but rather from the circumstances of our own lives. The winds of our emotions rage and the waters of our fears roar, and we have to seek shelter before the storm destroys us. Sometimes it feels like we can't go on and that our destruction is certain, like we've been flooded and abandoned.

But let me remind you of our friends in Miami singing praises on the beach, there is an eye in your storm. And His name is Jesus. He is right at the very center of it all. He is peace and still and quiet, and He wants to be your relief. He is sure when the winds are swirling. He holds steady when the waters rage. He will see you through to restoration, and He will make you whole. He will sustain you and rebuild you, and you will live to tell the story YOUR story.

Whether you are battling the physical storms or the ones inside of you. Look to the eye of the storm. He is your refuge, the peace in your troubled see.. Jesus is the eye of the storm.

Please keep the people of Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia, and all the surrounding areas in your thoughts and prayers!