First Impressions Of The Drag Race Season Ten Queens

My thoughts on who will do well and who will disappoint

62
Photo by Steven Peice on Unsplash

Rupaul's Drag Race season 10 comes out later this week, and I have been watching the "Meet the Queens" videos on the VH1 website nonstop since the day they were released. Since the new season is right around the corner, I just had to share some of my impressions about this season's queens.

Note: these impressions are based on both the "Meet the Queens" videos from the website and the Facebook Live Queen RuVeal runway, which can be found here.

Aquaria

I'm impressed by what I've seen of Aquaria's fashion sense, but I think her ego will be her downfall this season. Working with "club legends" and being Sharon Needles' drag daughter can only take her so far. If she wants to win this season, she'll either have to match her giant attitude with an equal amount of talent, or she'll have to take herself down a few notches.

Asia O'Hara

Asia gives me the exact opposite of what I got from Aquaria. I appreciate her can-do attitude, and I think it will carry her far into this competition, where versatility plays a key role. But I have some minor doubts about her sense of style, especially her hair in her introduction video. Her out-of-the-box fashion sense can be difficult to pull off, so I'm excited to see how she makes it work during the competition.

Blair St. Clair

I'm absolutely charmed by Blair, and I think she brings a very strong set of talents to Drag Race. She knows her style inside and out, and she knows exactly how to execute it. She is also confident in her ability to sing, dance, act, and sew; all highly valued skills in the competition. I think Blair is one to watch out for.

Dusty Ray Bottoms

Dusty Ray reminds me of Acid Betty in all the right ways, and none of the wrong ones. She's giving me a fresh, edgy style, gorgeous hair and makeup, and her story about her eyebrows shows adaptability and creativity. Dusty Ray Bottoms is another queen that I have my eye on.

Eureka O'Hara

I think Eureka is the queen to beat this season. She's already been on season nine, she's had time to develop her style and experience the growth that comes with being a Drag Race contestant, and she was already a fierce competitor last season. But, as she mentions in her video, we have higher expectations of her because we've already seen what she can do. I can't wait to see what she pulls out of her "big ass bag of tricks" to impress us with.

Kalorie Karbdashian Williams

Oh, Kalorie. She seems like such a sweetheart, and I want to see her succeed. But unfortunately, I think we'll see her going home first. You cannot win drag race without a precise attention to detail, and, judging by her clearly visible black bra in her intro video, Kalorie does not have that. Still, she seems like a hard worker, and she may have hidden talents that will prove me wrong.

Kameron Michaels

Androgyny in drag queens is not always well-received, but I think Kameron is doing it well. I'm always the most intrigued by queens like Ongina or Sasha Velour, who can walk ouI t bald and still be the most stunning queen on the stage. Kameron is far more feminine, but I am just as excited to see what she has to offer. Bring on the muscle Barbie.

Mayhem Miller

I'm not entirely convinced by Mayhem. She seems polished, but I have to wonder what she brings to the competition that we haven't already seen. She reminds me of a less irreverent Kennedy Davenport. And, though it's never bad to be compared to an All Star, I need Mayhem to live up to her name and show off something a little more exciting.

Miz Cracker

I would have expected Bob the Drag Queen's drag daughter to be better at landing a joke. I have the same problem with Miz Cracker as I had with Jaymes Mansfield; I want to be entertained by her, but she isn't doing enough for me. I can only hope she shows up more for the competition than she did for her interview, because I really want to see more from her.

Monet X Change

Monet has a great attitude, a good fashion sense, and a fantastic body. I can see her taking season ten by storm; I just love her energy. She can also be seen wearing letters for a national music fraternity in the behind the scenes video, which means she must have some hidden musical talent. I can't wait to see her put all of her talents to work.

Monique Heart

I like Monique, but for some reason I'm just not wowed by her. She's cute, she has a nice energy surrounding her, and I liked her outfit in the video. But for some reason I just keep forgetting about her. Hopefully she makes more of an impression during season ten, because I really like all of the elements of her drag style.

Vanessa Vanjie Mateo

Vanessa is adorable, fierce, and my personal favorite from what I've seen so far. Alexis Mateo is one of my favorite Drag Race queens ever, so I have high expectations for her drag daughter. I don't think I'll be disappointed. Though I don't envision Vanessa winning season ten, I do think she brings a fresh style and I'm thoroughly excited to see her compete.

The Vixen

I predict that The Vixen will go home fairly early in the season, based on both her fashion sense and her attitude. I don't see her fashion on the same level as the other queens this season, and yet she's going into the competition saying things like "I already think I'm better than everyone else". Her inflated sense of herself will keep her from taking critiques and from accurately gauging how well she's actually doing, and for those reasons I don't see her making it very far.

Yuhua Hamasaki

Yuhua reminds me of Jujube and Ongina, if you combined them both with various parts of an alien species. Her drag is different in a way that I think I like, and I also find her energy endearing. I can see her going far in the competition, but I think it's equally likely that she will hit a roadblock early on because of her "abrasiveness", as she puts it. Drag Race queens must be able to successfully work with others, so it will be interesting to see how she does.

That's all I have! I can't wait for the season ten premiere on Thursday so that I can see how my first impressions hold up.