To the Girls Trying To Achieve Society's Definition Of "Beauty," Kiss Those Impossible Standards Goodbye

People preach the importance of being comfortable in our own skin but destroy our confidence as soon as we are happy with ourselves.

190
@aerie

For decades, there has been a changing body type that women must follow in order to be beautiful, but must we kill ourselves trying to get there? And why must we look this way? Spending a couple of hours working out makes me feel really great about myself, but why can't I feel just as sexy if I don't go?

There is nothing worse than hearing someone ask, "Are you really going to eat that?"

I'm sure we have all heard this at least one time in our lives, so I must ask: what do my food choices have to do with anything? Tons of health websites and dietitians say everything is good in moderation and those cheat days are okay on occasion, but once you take them up on that offer, it seems like there is a cloud of judgment hovering over our heads.

So, instead of bending over backward to be "perfect," I spent the past weekend eating what I wanted to eat, and being active when I felt like being active, and it felt great. I felt beautiful and I was absolutely content. Still, I was judged for every move I made and frankly, I am over the stipulation that I can't do that and be beautiful at the same time.

Every woman on the planet is sure to say that they have compared themselves to someone who is seen as more beautiful, instead of first recognizing that we are all beautiful. What is beautiful is just how many types of body types, personalities, and interests there are in our universe.

There is beauty in diversity

So, instead of going out of your way to be someone you are not, do what makes you happy. Make an effort to feel beautiful just as you are, and only work on your body if it is for you. Do not let another person tell you what you need to do, and do not let another person impact your feelings of yourself. It is all about pursuing what makes you happiest and saying screw you to anyone who tries to convince you otherwise.

We are beautiful no matter what our body type is

We do not need to fit the societal standard for the perfect girl, and you do not need to change your lifestyle to please another person. Let today be the day that we all start living for us, and nobody else.

Goodbye standards, hello happiness.