Sorry, But Pushing For Trump's Impeachment Is Not Going To Help Us As A Nation

Trump has shown his deficiencies as the Commander-in-Chief, but Vice President Mike Pence is, if not worse, not a better option.

36
Donald Trump

President Trump was accused of engaging a phone call with the President of Ukraine, where it is alleged by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that Trump asked the Ukrainian President to investigate former Vice President and current Democratic contender Joe Biden.

The phone call is an important part of the ongoing investigation that began with a whistleblower's complaint that Trump is acting to seek the involvement of Ukraine in the upcoming 2020 Presidential election. As a result, Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, has launched a formal impeachment process against President Trump. In addition to the recent Ukraine scandal, Democrats will also enable other ongoing investigations of Trump as other possible charges to press against him.

Almost three years into his presidency, this attempt at impeachment honestly sounds like a waste of time. Yes, he has shown his apparent deficiencies at the Commander-in-Chief, but to go through this entire process, with just a year of his term left, seems unnecessary. The possibility of Vice President Mike Pence taking the Oval Office is also incredibly frightening, some of his beliefs, for instance, include using money that is intended for HIV/AIDS research on conversion therapy instead, and defunding Planned Parenthood entirely. Trump, as xenophobic and ignorant as may be, is not nearly as right-wing as Pence is. A nation under Vice President Mike Pence would arguably be worse than the current state of our nation.

The sensible thing to do from here on out is to honestly sit out the rest of Trump's presidency, and instill hope into the idea that we will elect a new president in the 2020 election. No matter how much we want to believe it, impeaching Trump is not the solution that America needs.