Immigrants Make America Great

If You Want To 'Make America Great,' You're Going To Need Immigrants

#IMAG — Immigrants make America great, because betting against immigrants is betting against yourself.

23
Photo by Nitish Meena on Unsplash

Since the 2016 election, there's been a marked increase in discourse around immigration. Now, immigration is a topic that comes up in every administration's agenda and an evolving topic for many nations. As an immigrant myself, thought that it was right and just for the civilians of this country to access and alter the immigration standards to fit the needs of their country.

I thought this while going through the immigration process, attending meetings and exchanging my paperwork. I thought this while learning the laws of this country, developing my relationship with it and building my life. I still believed this after completing naturalization, unlocking my rights and accepting my responsibilities as a citizen of this nation.

This all changed recently with the increase in vile statements, vicious attacks and heinous policy propositions that unfairly target the most vulnerable seeking to come to America — it goes against the very idea of the American dream.

The immigration policies being implemented by the Trump administration strategically target immigrants coming from troubled and developing countries. The policies encroach on asylum seekers' human rights and are flat out racist at times. All this is happening while the Republican Party spins and dismisses the president's comments by claiming it's not racism.

I would urge them to consider two things. That a white person, which most of them are, are not reliable sources for determining who or what is racist. And what else must Trump do to classify as a racist? Lynchings on Saturdays?

When policies are proposed that primarily target people of color from marginalized countries, it's not a fix for a nation but an attack on those who can't defend themselves.