More Than 4,500 Immigrant Youth Have Been Abused in U.S. Custody
Immigration

It's disgusting and literally heartbreaking to think that these children who have fled their countries seeking asylum from traumatic experiences and living conditions get no tranquility here either, instead they were separated from their families and traumatized further.

28

Remember when Donald Trump wrongfully said, "They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people," when discussing Mexican immigrants. when discussing Mexican immigrants.

What happened to those hateful and false allegations when thousands of migrants have reported sexual abuse here in U.S custody and in the hands of U.S officials. According to The New York Times,

"The federal government received more than 4,500 complaints in four years about the sexual abuse of immigrant children who were being held at government-funded detention facilities, including an increase in complaints while the Trump administration's policy of separating migrant families at the border was in place, the Justice Department revealed this week. The records, which involve children who had entered the country alone or had been separated from their parents, detailed allegations that adult staff members had harassed and assaulted children, including fondling and kissing minors, watching them as they showered, and raping them.
"The records, which involve children who had entered the country alone or had been separated from their parents, detailed allegations that adult staff members had harassed and assaulted children, including fondling and kissing minors, watching them as they showered, and raping them."

Sexual assault within immigration camps has always occurred and that does NOT make it okay, but it has spiked immensely since Trump implemented a zero-tolerance policy that resulted in thousands of children vulnerable and separated from their families.

Behind closed doors and in immigration facilities that are supposed to keep them safe, more than 4,500 minors were being sexually abused and sexually assaulted.

To people in the Trump administration, Mexicans are bringing crime, drugs, and rapists.

But why aren't we acknowledging these crimes in our own territories? Committed by our own citizens? Taken advantage of by our own officials in power?

These children did absolutely nothing wrong and are being traumatized by the people in immigration camps that are supposed to protect them.

It's getting uncomfortably easy for some people to turn a blind eye to crime just because of their political beliefs or their stance on immigration and honestly it's time for this country to open its eyes.

According to CBS News, "This isn't a political issue, this is about taking care of kids. That's something that everybody oughtta be able to come together on."

These children don't deserve what they're going through, nobody does and that's something we should all agree on.