I'm Single And I Don't Hate Valentine's Day

STOP "SINGLE AWARENESS DAY"

307
HANNAH CRAMER

Honestly, it's a cheesy holiday that's been COMPLETELY commercialized by places like Hallmark and Target. So for you to get upset that you are single on a day that is surrounded by expectations of receiving flowers and chocolates is RI-DIC-ULOUS. Just because you are not currently in a relationship does not mean you get to mope around and make complain that you are "forever alone". PUH-LEASE, with that attitude honey you will be.

Is it so hard to be happy for people who have found someone that they enjoy to be around and want to spend the rest of their lives with? It's SO unattractive and frankly annoying for you to bring everyone down because you don't have what you want.

And when did your value and self-worth become defined by whether or not you are in a relationship with somebody? I used to be surrounded by girls who only focused on boys and it ruled their lives. It made me feel like I needed a boyfriend in order to be successful or happy. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP! It's a horrible way to look at life. For you to constantly be worried about what a stupid boy is thinking is a waste of your precious time.

This time of our lives is so important and doesn't need to be about anyone but yourself. It's the time you grow into an adult, learn things about yourself, discover your passions and make memories with your friends. Invest time in your friends. I cannot express this enough. When all you care about is boys, it gets old to the people around you. Create relationships where you talk about meaningful things and that can last a lifetime because they have substance rather than surface level conversations.

I don't hate Valentine's day because I love myself and the people in my life. I am focusing on my own happiness and the life that I am creating. I've got the greatest friends in the world who I would rather spend my time with because I know they will always be there. There's a whole career that I'm building, so I can do what I love and be successful. I am creating myself and my future right now. I don't need to be adding another person in the mix that will require time and energy that I don't have right now.

Personally, it makes me happy when other people are happy. I find hope in this world when I see a couple that is genuinely head over heels in love or when I hear about a fifty year anniversary. I smile when I see a guy staring at his girl with this incredible look of love without her noticing because she is just being herself. I just can't imagine being so bitter that seeing that would make me mad like honestly, you're that selfish?

In the end, it's just another day on the calendar. It's great that it gives couples an opportunity to celebrate their love, but it does not give you the right to make them feel bad about it. Grab your single friends and have a wine night or go see fifty shades.