I’m a Preacher’s Daughter, and I Wouldn’t Trade My Life For The World

The pros of being a P.K. outweigh all of the negative stereotypes society develops about us.

103

On December 14th of 2008, my Dad accepted a lifetime calling that changed our entire family's lives drastically.

I remember the day like it was yesterday. Even though I was 7 and didn't understand what life as a preachers kid would mean, I knew that I was exceptionally proud of my Dad, and I also knew that our lives were going to change a bit.

A lot changed for us. We've faced many challenges along the way. It didn't change everything though. See, when people think about a preacher they think of a sinless being that has all of his “ducks in a row." Speaking from experience of living with a preacher as a dad, that perception is totally wrong. My dad is, for the most part, a normal human being. He makes mistakes. He sins. He forgives. He hurts. He has his good days, and he also has his bad. He laughs. He jokes. He is real. He will tell you like it is. He loves. He loves everyone he meets, and not even because he has to. His calling doesn't define his life. He still lives and does things like a normal human being. He sometimes needs his vacations. He sometimes gets overwhelmed, and feels like he isn't worthy of his position.

His calling does bring a ton of responsibilities to his plate, though. It isn't a place of harvest all of the time. It takes a lot of reaping, sowing, and replanting.

He is everyone's pastor. He's developed many relationships over the years with members from previous churches that he still does his duties of maintaining his role of a trustworthy and supporting pastor even though he's elsewhere and has his own congregation to handle.

He loves everyone. He's one of the few people I can truthfully say that about. If his congregation or previous congregations are hurting, so is he. He carries it with him, and will do anything in his power to be there for the afflicted.

He prays. There's hardly ever a moment that goes by that he isn't having an ongoing conversation with God. When he tells you he's praying for you, he truthfully is.

He is willing. He never fails to reach out and do everything in his power to help. He takes on any role that isn't filled in the church because he strives for success. If you call upon him, I can promise you that he will drop whatever he's doing to be there no matter what the case may be.

He tries his absolute best. He studies for countless hours a week to prepare a sermon that he is called to preach for the following Sunday. There are nights where I'll be up at 1 a.m. and can hear the pages turning in his bible in the other room, or they'll be Sunday mornings where he wakes up at the crack of dawn to get ready and he'll go sit on the porch to go over all of the final touches to make sure that the sermon is God's will for the day. He does everything in his power to be the best that he can be.

He sometimes gets discouraged, and even has days where he wants to step down. He still maintains a full time job, being a father, a caretaker for his mom, a friend, a husband, and somehow he hardly ever complains (unless he's “sick"🤣). He loves what he does. He may have his days where it gets the best of him, but he loves his calling regardless. He has accomplished so much in his lifetime. He does his absolute best to fulfill his calling, and I strive to be like him more and more everyday.

I AM SO PROUD OF HIM.

All of the negative stigmas that are developed about being a preachers kid are all indeed worth it because I get to see my Dad fulfill what he is called to do.

It amazes me that God somehow found me worthy enough to be my Father's daughter.

I fail my Dad more often than not. I sometimes follow the negative stereotype that society has developed. Sometimes I'm rebellious and go against his will. I've failed him many times, but he never fails to forgive me and exemplify God's love for me.

I'm thankful for the relationships being a P.K. has enabled me to develop. I've met so many people at churches that have changed my life and that I have absolutely fallen in love with. Almost all of my friends I have are in some way, shape, or form related to Church.

I have developed a stronger knowledge of God's love and God's will for my life. Most people think that as a preacher's kid you're almost forced to go to church, but that isn't usually the case. I used to have that perspective of feeling like I was being forced to go, but in all reality I am so grateful for it. I'm never forced to go. I choose to go. If I wanted to stay home, my parents would be absolutely disappointed but they would let me. Nothing throughout this journey has been forced upon us as kids. Mom and Dad try their hardest to not get us involved because they want us to live somewhat normally, but never worldly.

We are always busy, but it's so much fun. I wouldn't change our busy schedules for the world. We always have something going on. Whether it be church events/activities, community outtings, house/hospital visits, or just fellowship with people from our church, I'm always promised to have an amazing time. My church people are MY PEOPLE. They are the ones I'd much rather hang around. Getting to be a preacher's daughter allows me to attend all of the events and I even get to play my part, and that's something I wouldn't change for the world. I love doing it. I'm passionate about each encounter and every changing day.

Being a preacher's kid is more of an honor than anything.

I get to live a life full of God, and it holds me accountable. I don't always do it right. Sometimes I fail miserably. I often feel like a burden, but I'll forever be grateful that I was worthy enough to God.

I'm a proud daughter.

Regardless of how many times I get called out about being a preacher's kid, no matter how many times I get looked at as the basic stereotype, no matter who's watching me even when I fail, this journey and experience has brought me miles closer to God and it's given me encouragement and inspiration for a better future.

Preacher's kids aren't all bad, and no we don't all hate our Father's profession. There will never be a moment in my life, no matter how far away I stray from God, that I'll not be appreciative of being his daughter and having such a role to fill. It's not always easy, especially for Dad, but it's always worth it.

When the fruit of my Dad's labor is magnified it brings so much joy to my heart.

I am so thankful God chose me to be a preacher's daughter. I wouldn't trade my life for the world.

I love you Dad, and I'm so thankful for all you do.

You make all of us proud!