If I Can Succeed Outside Of My Comfort Zone Then So Can You
Health Wellness

It is so worth it.

257

Recently, I did something that made me step out of my comfort zone.

In all honesty… I'm lying. I was actually dragged out of my comfort zone kicking and screaming.

I was given a task that scared me more than anything has recently. For a person who doesn't struggle with anxiety, this would seem like an easy thing to do. I mean, how hard could leading thirteen little girls at a camp be? I have helped work tons of camps in my lifetime, but leading one? How was I supposed to make the girls listen to me and how would I know if they even liked me? For me, this was painfully horrifying.

But I'm here to tell you something… I did it and I loved it. I conquered the fear of being disliked and unaccepted. I overcame the worry I had of not being able or not being enough. I left this experience with a whole new attitude and confidence toward myself and who I am as a person.

I'm not writing this so that you can congratulate me. I am writing this as encouragement to the person reading this who is just like me, who wants to do so many big things in their life but is scared to take the first step. I am here to tell you that you can do it!

While comfort zones feel safe and secure, conquering a fear and stepping out of your boundaries feels exponentially more exciting. As soon as I started, the uncertainties of being unaccepted escaped my brain and, I must say, it was the best feeling I have had in a while. Not only did I conquer something that scared me, but I was able to spend the week teaching girls about the sport that I love.

Now, I am not saying that I have been cured. My anxiety did not disappear and I still feel nervous before trying new things. But now I know that sometimes leaving your comfort zone is not such a bad thing and it will be okay. There is nothing in this world that should keep you from sharing or doing something that you love. Not even the most paralyzing anxiety can dim the fire burning in you.

"A comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there." -Unknown