If You Give An English Major A Book

If You Give An English Major A Book

The wild, the crazy, and the unbelievable; every English major has done at least one of these things.

4
If You Give An English Major A Book

I've been a quote-on-quote English major for going on three years now. Anything books, reading, and nerdiness is definitely my jam. That being said, there are certain things I've come to notice about all English majors (including myself) that make us unique, if a bit quirky as well. Here are ten things English majors do on the reg:

1. If you give us a book, nine times out of ten we'll smell it. 

Okay, this isn't as weird as you might assume. For most people who study Literature, and even those for whom reading is just a hobby, the smell of a book is cathartic and nostalgic. When I smell the scent of books, it instantly calms me and just makes me really happy.

2. Most of us have WAY too many books.

In my small bedroom at home, I have over 350 books. And I add to the pile quicker than I can read. It's a problem I don't necessarily want to "fix."

3. As soon as we know someone's read Harry Potter, we *have* to know their Hogwarts house.

It's like something takes over our entire body and we're possessed. We just have to, it's non-negotiable.

4. Our "following" count on Instagram consists of A LOT of people we don't know.

You know, just keeping up with all these authors' personal lives...like a mini stalker.

5. Most of the "early period" things you read, you don't understand.

We say and act like we do, but odds are we're winging it or we looked up an extensive summary. I'm just being real with y'all.

6. Netflix could probably guess your major based on your watch history.

Like the FBI supposedly watching your Google searches, Netflix has probably caught on by now. Gilmore Girls, To All The Boys I've Loved Before, Gossip Girl, Dumplin', etc.

7. Many of our inside jokes are book-related. 

And sometimes nobody else picks up on the humor.

8. We bring books...everywhere.

I *always* have a book with me. Long trips, lunch with friends, busy school days. You never know when you'll have extra reading time. Or when you'll break down on the side of the road and need a pastime.

9. People usually over-estimate your writing skills.

You can be the best writer there is and still struggle with writing an academic paper. Your friend could think you're on the last page after an hour of writing, but in actuality, you're still trying to figure out how to word the first sentence of your introduction.

10. Most English majors I've come into contact with *abhor* red marker.

I have promised myself that, when I become a teacher, I will not use a red marker to grade anything. Ever. It's just so intimidating, whether you think it looks like blood or not!

There are ten things that most (or all) English majors are likely to do at some point or another!