I Write Because No One can Do It like I can

I Write Because I Can Do It Like Nobody Else Can

What is your "thing?"

60
Julia Price

Everyone has their "thing." Something that they do because it brings them happiness, and in most cases because they're good at it.

I'm sure after reading those sentences you've already thought of what your own thing is.

Maybe you dance or you make masterpieces with paint. Maybe you hunt or you have a good eye when there's a camera in your hands.

And, as someone who can't draw a stick figure correctly, I've always been jealous of those that can.

Oftentimes, I'd even felt silly for saying that my hobby was that I write. It felt like I was saying I could take words and put them together just like anybody else could; nothing special. And, honestly, I'm ashamed to say that it has taken me this long to realize that my "thing" is so much more than that.

I like words. I think they're fun. I like how they all have different meanings and multiple words can come together to mean one big thing. I also realize that to a lot of people that sounds crazy, and they don't understand. But, really it's just the same as if a gamer says they love Fortnite. I don't understand the hype, but because it's not my thing, I don't have to.

I write because I am imaginative. Sometimes, I even argue with myself about the risky things I'm willing to add to my stories, but my wild imagination hasn't let me down so far. After all, writing is all about taking risks, and I have the ability to put words and ideas together in a way that a lot of other people can't.

I write because it makes me feel good. It's amazing what I can get off of my chest in such a short about of time with only a pen and a notebook in hand. I am able to say my piece and feel nothing but satisfaction when it's over. And that's just not enough for a lot of other people.

I write because there are no rules. I have been writing for as long as I can remember, and after all this time I have never picked up on why anyone would ever find themselves willingly having anything to do with poetry. But, this school year, I had a professor squash every idea that I had burned in my head about this type of literature and made me see the beauty that I wish everyone could see. He taught me that I could defy the stereotypes and break the rules and make it my own. So, I successfully did, and not everyone can do that.

I write because I want to tell stories. I write because the final product is beautiful. I write because I feel good when I do it and I feel proud once I'm done. And not everyone can say those things either.

Just how I can't throw a football correctly to save my life, not everyone can write a persuasive letter to save theirs.

Writers, you are important; and you shouldn't feel any lesser if this is your only "thing."

And, for those feeling like their "thing" isn't significant enough, just know that there are plenty of people that will never be able to do it the way that you can.