I Went To An Astro Concert And The Experience was Life Changing

I Went To An Astro Concert And The Experience Was Life Changing

The love I feel for Astro is so different now that I have real memories of them; for a time, we stood in the same place, I heard their voices, and every bit of it was so surreal.

45
Astro concert
Personal Photo

I've never really been one to do anything spontaneous over Spring Break. Really, I'm not known for spontaneously traveling at any time of the year. I'm the type of person who likes to plan and prepare since I'm convinced that's the only way to maximize my enjoyment of any vacation.

So throughout the entire month of March, I was hyper-aware of the quickly approaching Astro tour dates. As the dates in New Jersey and Dallas passed, I had come to accept that I would not be seeing one of my favorite K-Pop groups any time soon. There just hadn't been enough time to plan.

I just started liking Astro in January, and I wasn't sure I was ready to commit to driving all the way to New Jersey or Texas to see them perform. The only remaining shows were in L.A. and San Francisco; it seemed impossible to travel there.

Still, there was this tiny part of me that liked to imagine how amazing it would be to go. Sure, traveling across the country from my small town in Alabama to a huge city in California to see a boy band sounds like an embarrassing amount of effort, and I wouldn't dare to ask my parents to help fulfill such an impulsive request, but it was a fun dream.

It was not as fun for my mother, a lifelong boy band enthusiast, who was quickly realizing why I loved groups like Astro and BTS. They are a source of positivity, artists who contribute pure joy to the world through music and silly shenanigans. While I could happily dream about maybe one day seeing and hearing them in person, my mother is one who prefers more instant gratification.

It was a miraculous turn of events that enabled my mother to surprise me with tickets to Astro's concert in San Francisco. In all truthfulness, the story of her unexpected success at a casino still sounds too good to be true.

I still cannot believe this moment belongs to my life: the moment where my brother and I sat in the bed of his truck, talking about music, and my mom and step-dad exit their car, Astro's "You & Me" playing from Mom's phone as she wordlessly shows me the tickets she has just purchased.

I had less than a week to pack my things and brace myself to fly to California, which I hadn't seen since I was a baby. It was hard to believe I would see with my own eyes the boys I watched and listened to every day.

My throat would tighten with emotion with the thought that I would see my idol, Cha Eunwoo, who had recently guided me to an epiphany through the K-drama My ID is Gangnam Beauty. I would finally get to hear the voice of MJ, my official bias, which I had fallen in love with from the first note.

I would get to see the leader, Jinjin, whom I so deeply admired. I would see Moonbin, my brother's favorite, and thus earn my brother's envy forever. I would see Rocky, the best dancer I'd ever seen. And lastly, I would get to see baby Yoon Sanha and see if he's really so cute in person.

And the thing is, they were better than I could have imagined. MJ's voice will possibly forever remain the most beautiful sound I have ever heard, and I will always try to remember how he forcefully established himself as my bias with his stage presence.

Jinjin's charisma, his expressed desire to see each fan's individual face, has made me appreciate him more fully. Moonbin's smile is imprinted upon my memory.

Rocky's heartfelt performance of every dance will remain among the most stunning things I have ever watched. Yoon Sanha is now and forever the cutest human being I have ever seen, and Cha Eunwoo, with his sweet English, and his genuine smiles, is just as perfect in person as anyone could imagine.

During the concert, I thought MJ had cemented himself as my bias. However, as I reflect on that night and the memories I made, it occurs to me that every member has moved me in their own way. The love I feel for Astro is different now. They are still my idols, but I now have real memories of them. For a time, we stood in the same place, and I heard their voices, and I am thankful for every moment.