'I Want You Back' Is Perfect For Valentine's Day

It has a silly rom-com plot that could been resolved in minutes. You'll love it

1973
An image of ​Charlie Day (left) and Jenny Slate (right) in Amazon Prime's newest rom-com film "I Want You Back." They're singing in a karaoke bar with lots of alcohol and food in the foreground.
© 2021 Amazon Content Services LLC

What happens when a significant other breaks up with an individual? Any normal person would grieve then keep going. But what if they create an elaborate plot to break up their ex with their new love?

"I Want You Back" has a silly plot that could've settled if the characters moved on, but if that were the case there wouldn't be a movie, right? The latest rom-com from Amazon Prime and director Jason Orley is best seen with a free-spirited attitude in mind. Go in expecting a fun film and leave satisfied.

I Want You Back - Official Trailer | Prime Videowww.youtube.com

Peter (Charlie Day) and Emma (Jenny Slate) are total strangers until they're both dumped by their significant others (Gina Rodriguez and Scott Eastwood) on the same weekend. The "Sadness Sisters," as they call themselves, turn their pity party into a mission. Once they discover each of their exes moved on to new romances (Clark Backo and Manny Jacinto), they plan to break them up.

Even though the plot to split the couples is trivial, there's a lot of heart to this movie that hooks viewers. There are several moments that feel genuine thanks to the chemistry Day and Slate share.

Day has a sweet scene that shows how Peter's affable personality makes him great with senior citizens and vice versa with Slate's Emma and kids. In fact, some of these scenes hit an unexpected chord that overall makes this movie more touching than funny. Ironically, there aren't many laugh-out-loud moments.

Fans of rom-com flicks will see the finale coming from a mile away, but how the characters get to where they are at that point is a worthwhile, entertaining journey.

Score: 8/10

See "I Want You Back" exclusively on Amazon Prime beginning Friday, February 11, 2022. Follow the reporter Samantha Incorvaia at @s_incorvaia.