Yes, I Want To Teach Elementary School

Yes, I Want To Teach Elementary School

This is what I'm supposed to do.

69
Yes, I Want To Teach Elementary School
upload.wikimedia.org

Teaching is something someone has to have a passion for. Something which you learn more about over time. Something that is different for every individual. Being a teacher is so much more than simply knowing the material you are covering. It is listening to your students. It is allowing individuals to grow. It is adapting no matter the circumstance. It is encouraging curiosity in little minds.

I want to teach children to love learning. The world is so open, full of knowledge and things to explore and I want to be able to support the curiosity each student has. I want him or her to know that no matter where those curiosities take them, there will be someone supporting until the end of time.

Their little minds deserve to be focusing on expanding their knowledge, focusing on their own curiosity, but instead, some of them will worry about where they will sleep that night. Or focusing on the emptiness in their stomach, or fearing going home to face their guardian, if they are even given attention. I think that is the most serious situation a child could face and I want to be there to help them.

These ideas of problems a child may go through may seem drastic, but it's more common than one may even know.

As I've grown and thought more about my career choice, I've come to realize that being able to impact the lives of my future students is what I'm most excited for. I want to be able to put a smile on a child's face when they come into school each and every morning despite what they experience at home.

I want to be a support system in and outside of the classroom. I want to go to their sports games, I want to hear about their goals, I want to make each and every student in my classroom feel valued. Daily, so many students will walk into my future classroom and they will be fighting battles I will not even begin to understand. These battles could be within oneself or in the world around them, but no matter what it is so much larger than their little minds.

I cannot wait to see what my next four years of classes to become a teacher bring and I cannot wait to be a teacher one day.

I cannot wait to be given drawings made at indoor recess. I cannot wait to have my former students come to visit and to see all they have done. I cannot wait for daily lightbulb moments. I cannot wait for something different every day.

The best way I can summarize why I want to teach is a quote from Adam Saenz which he spoke during his TED Talk, "The Power of a Teacher," from 2015. Saenz said, "we change every heartbeat they have to the grave."

This is what I'm supposed to do.