I forgive you, Dad.

I forgive you, Dad.

Learning to let God be the Father you never had.

12
I forgive you, Dad.

My father was around for most of my childhood but being a product of a blended family, that changed drastically for me. As soon as a new woman stepped into his life, I was booted out of his life. I had to quickly come to terms with my dad not being able to be there for me when I needed him. It wasn't until recently I started to realize that the longing for his attention was still there and I was trying to find it through other men. Unfortunately, that resulted in me being in really unhealthy relationships because I was with men who resembled my father in many ways. I stuck around in those relationships way longer than I should have thinking that I could love them through it or somehow open their eyes to realize I was worth fighting for. (I know I'm worth fighting for now). There was a pattern forming though. My father had a hard time with decision making and that resulted me being with someone who couldn't make decisions. My father had a hard time standing up for me when my step mom would abuse me and that resulted me being with someone who couldn't stand up for me when I needed it the most. My father didn't fight for me when he let my step mom remove my brother and I from our home when I was fourteen. This inevitability resulted in me being with someone who couldn't fight for me when things got tough. Do you see the pattern now? There is something to be said about the drastic effect that a father-daughter relationship can have on a woman. For those who can relate to me in any way possible, I would like to share good news with you. Our Heavenly Father wants to gladly take that place in your heart. I wish I would have ran to Him sooner but He never left. Not once. Our Father resembles everything you could possibly ever need or ever want in a father. I had to surrender those desires and longings to be my dad's little girl so that Jesus could take that place in my heart. Not only that place, but every place. The more I am seeking Him and His heart, the more I find myself in healthier relationships, friendships, and even habits. I didn't need a man to fight for me anymore because Jesus is fighting for me daily. Exodus 14:14 says, "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." After coming to these realizations, I wasn't settling for less anymore because I know my Father wants the absolute best for me just as He does for you. My encouragement to you is that you let Him in and take over those places that you've been trying to piece back together yourself. Maybe I am just speaking to myself on this but you don't ever need to beg or plead for someone to fight for you or to stay. Know your worth. YOU ARE WORTH IT BECAUSE HE SAYS YOU ARE. Our Father wants his daughters to look to Him, to seek Him, to love Him, to be with Him, first. Because only then we will know how a Godly man should treat us and what our Father wants for us. Ultimately, let forgiveness take place. I struggled with forgiving my dad for what he did but once I learned to forgive, it set me free. It can set you free too.