I Fear a World in Which We Can't Communicate

As we enter the 2020 political campaign, I have been noticing something of younger generations: we have lost the ability to communicate affectively and respectfully. We will destroy our country if we do not learn to listen and understand one another.

13

In an increasingly polarized world, more and more people have leaned on the phrase, "politics aren't really my thing." We use this to get out of awkward situations with family members, friends, collogues, and even strangers on the internet. We have these devices in our hands, on our bodies, at all times that gives us instant access to everything in the world. Yet, as each day goes by more and more people choose to disassociate themselves with politics and issues that really matter to them. This is a dangerous pattern we are getting ourselves into.

Saying that politics isn't really "your thing," means that you literally do not live on this planet. It means that you are not singlehandedly a victim of the decisions made by your representatives and leaders. It shows that you do not care for your fellow citizens, you would just let them get torn apart by systematic institutions of oppression based on class, race and gender. It also means that you are not a taxpaying citizen and that your hard-earned money is getting used in the ways that you would like it to be used. Let's be honest, this is not the reality for any of us.

You cannot function in this country if you do not dip your toes in the water of politics. You cannot have a say in your leadership, in your state's representation, or your voice. If you do not have a conversation with your peers about your opinions and aim to gain knowledge from those conversations then what is your purpose in society? Humans are animals that work in groups. We learn from each other, we grow with one another and we look to find meaning in our relationships with other humans. When we lose the ability to have meaningful conversations with one other then we are lost as a species. I fear that we are lost.

I fear that we are lost in our ability to respect another's opinion. I fear that we are too quick to come to harsh conclusions about another's morals and personality traits without truly listening to what we have to say. We have even lost this ability to understand one another in Congress, where it is most important. Instead, we base our knowledge and opinions on the hatred of one other, not the understanding of each other's beliefs. This directly affects who we vote for and who will create laws for us. Refusing to engage in knowledgeable, respectful commentary with your peers is the most damaging mentality the younger generations are facing, as it will only drive us further apart as a country than together.

Within the realm of social media, we have so much power at our fingertips. We can engage with each other instantly, and we can share our voices on the largest platform possible: the world wide web. To grow as a country we need to stop with the negativity. I know that is cliche, but taking a moment to pause and truly understand someone's opinion will open your mind. Listening to understand rather than to respond will enhance you as a human being. And most of all, we will bring opposing forces together for the greater good. We will be able to show our leaders what we want from their power in office and we can begin to end the hate and violence that is destroying our communities.

Your smartphone is more than just a device to share memes on. Use it as your voice, your weapon and your ammunition for change. Once we learn to engage in meaningful commentary rather than hurtful banter then we will finally make the change we want to see in Washington.